Rethinking intake on 408

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
My 408 and 200R4 install are well along the way. We had a hard time getting the motor in and had to loosen the bolts on the brake booster to get it in. It barely clears and under torque, the left side is going to try and come up, even with a torque strap. That being the case, I am taking off the MP valve covers from my 318 and using those instead of the tall Moroso aluminum covers that are on the motor. I already checked, and they fit - valve train height is not an issue. That will leave me a lot of clearance. I have to notch the Super Victor intake a biy to get them to fit, but no big deal. Which brings me to my next thought. The Super Victor and it's long straight tubes are great for higher speeds, but everything about this car is geared to getting there quick, not top end. Also, the SV has no mount for the coil, throttle cable, temp sender, etc... None of which are a huge issue, but I have the Eddy RPM Air Gap intake in my 318 now, and it has all of those things plus I think the motor and car would be better served by this intake over the SV. What do you think? Am I crazy or am I on the right track here?

Depends on the engine specs, in of which I have no idea what they are.
I have noted that stroker engines peak in power early, for the most part, far below the rated rpm range of the Edelbrock SV. But that doesn't mean the intake is well matched or would be the best intake for it.

Here is what I have:
1992 magnum block
scat 4" stroke crank
Scat forged i-beam rods
Diamond flat top pistons (11.8:1 compression)
total seal rings
Engine Pro main, rod, Cam bearings
Fluid damper
cloyes double roller timing set
Cometic head gaskets
Edelbrock performer rpm heads (gasket matched w/ light porting)
Smith bros pushrods
Comp 1.5 ratio shaft mount billet roller rockers
comp hydrolic roller lifters
Comp Cam
242/248 Dur@ .050, .3660/.3630 lift @ .050, 112° lobe sep. 549/544 gross valve lift
Comp valve springs, retainers, keepers, locators
ARP head studs
ARP bolts used throughout
melling hv oil pump
Edelbrock Super Victor intake
MSD Pro Billet distributor
bronze dist gear
Taylor wires and looms
New ngk plugs
Holley 750dp mech secondary manual choke (rebuilt this spring)
Mopar MSD 6 Ignition box
Blaster2 Coil
Adjustable rev limiter
Moroso fabricated aluminum valve covers

Hum, agree .. with a spacer under the carb as well. I think I'd run the AG. The cam is on the small-ish side inside a stroker @ 400+ cubes. The SV would be a lot on top a standard 360 unless it was fairly well pumped up. Um, Yea, I think i'll go with the AG as a more friendly for the package intake.

I'd imagine that makes some really nice street power though.

I have a 1 1/2 inch spacer for the carb. It is running 11.8 to 1 compression and was dyno'd with a different intake and card at 498hp with 528 ft/lb torque. I think it'll just top 500hp now. I think I am going with the air gap. This car is geared for low end power. I have a Dana 60 with 4.10 as well. Plus my gearing is a little better with the 200R4. I just don't see the benefit of using the SV. And I think it's ugly anyway!

My vote is also for the Airgap, I keep thinking I need to find a used one and hack it up and try it on my W2 408 motor.

Attachments

• dart pics 033.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 215
Air-Gap. My combo is VERY similar (slightly larger solid roller, Compcams XR286R, and less compression at 10.8:1) and has run 10.89 with the Air-gap. I currently have a Victor intake on, and it is a little quicker (both ET and MPH), but the Air-gap made bigger wheel stands :-D

-
Back