retro Dart/Duster/Demon

-

duaneorr333

Reaction score
Ok I was just thinking what if Chrysler decided to do a retro Dart based on the 67-69 and they did the Swinger and GTS. Also how bout a Duster and Demon?? (based on 70-72) What would they look like in say 2012? I was kinda hoping that once Chrysler gets bored with the Challenger that they would build a Dart or Duster/Demon. As for engines, the Hemi rules, but a 340 inch Hemi? Or am I just crazy and just leave them be in the past?

Cool idea, but from the Corporate perspective, they are going to build what sells. They can't capitalize on cars people don't remember. And Joe Public nowadays probably doesn't remember the Dart as a Hi-Po car, and doesn't remember the Demon / Duster at all. Chrysler will get bored with the Challenger as soon as it fails to become profitable.

I think Retro cars in general are a trend that will pass. Not that I want to see that happen, just what I think.

They will never do it. Most don't know what a Dart/Duster are and if they do they always say. "Ya my grandma had one of them". Not the kind of image that sells cars.

They did stick the Duster name on a K car back in the 80's.

Probably won't happen. They'd have to build a whole new rear drive platform to do it right, and I think rear drive car platforms are about done.

They're for a niche market, and the marketing guys know they only need one line per manufacturer (or less).

I hate to say it, but I think its true.

Id settle for a challenger that wasn't chock full of yuppie claptrap.

Steve

chrysler wont ever do it. But you certaintly could! Besides wouldent it be cooler to have the only one instead of all these other guys with them? im actualy trying to make a drawing of what a 2011 dart could look like. we will see how it turns out.

chrysler wont ever do it. But you certaintly could! Besides wouldent it be cooler to have the only one instead of all these other guys with them? im actualy trying to make a drawing of what a 2011 dart could look like. we will see how it turns out.

Dan I cant wait to see your drawing. As for Chrysler never doing it I think all you guys are right, but its fun to think of what something would look like in todays world...even if it were just a concept car; aka the Chevy Chevelle based on the 04-06 GTO and different versions of the Trans Am based on the new Camaro.
I'm not sure what vehicles I could use as a base for a Dart except for the Challenger but some very heavy mods would be required to make it so it wouldnt look like a Challenger. And the Charger is a 4 door (or even the 300) but the body lines could be used for a Dart I suppose. Ok I'm just throwing stuff out there. Any more thought/opinions?

ya know with some light sheetmetal work the avenger could fit the bill as a Dart retro.
Make it a 2 dr and convert to rear wheel drive with the 3.5L and 5.7L hemi maybe downsized to a 340. That would be too cool!

What chrysler needs ASAP if its going to survive is another low priced econo car that would sell. I think they had a great idea in the Demon concept car. should have went with that car it would have been a killer threat to the likes of the Civic coupe and scion Tc crowd.

Actually they are talking of turning the 200c platform into the new avenger based on a shortened challenger chassis with the 3.6 pheonix v6 and that could lead to a nice return of the abody styling and size.

ya know with some light sheetmetal work the avenger could fit the bill as a Dart retro.
Make it a 2 dr and convert to rear wheel drive with the 3.5L and 5.7L hemi maybe downsized to a 340. That would be too cool!

What chrysler needs ASAP if its going to survive is another low priced econo car that would sell. I think they had a great idea in the Demon concept car. should have went with that car it would have been a killer threat to the likes of the Civic coupe and scion Tc crowd.

I havent heard of the Demon concept car. I'll have to do a search on that one. I think the Avenger would be a cool platform for the Dart.

Here was the suposed new demon/crossfire concept looks good but not Abody good

They really need to stop putting that damn grille design on almost every Chrysler car already.Sorry,I just think its over used and outdated already.

They really need to stop putting that damn grille design on almost every Chrysler car already.Sorry,I just think its over used and outdated already.

I totally agree with that one. Wayyy too old...just like Chevy with their grill. Get something new!!

I was suprised when they did not call the Neon a Dart or a Duster even. It was kind of the A body of its time. An economy car that the factory also made in to a performance model aka SRT-4. I know it did not have the retro look and was a fwd car but I think it had the spirit. Retro is getting old any way.

I was suprised when they did not call the Neon a Dart or a Duster even. It was kind of the A body of its time. An economy car that the factory also made in to a performance model aka SRT-4. I know it did not have the retro look and was a fwd car but I think it had the spirit. Retro is getting old any way.

Your right. The F Body replaced the A body then the K car replaced the F body.
K car was replaced with the Shadow/Sundance and they where replaced with Neon. Turns out the Neon WAS a distant relative of the Abody. I think Dart and Valiant just sounded too old to them, Neon was a modern,tron like futuristic name of the times.

I think they could pull off a name like Revolver. I bet it would be a hit. Build one frame and design it to be a 2dr,4dr, wagon or convertible. And Just like the old days offer a wide selection of colors and interior color options. Let people decide what options they want or how loaded it is. IF you had the choice to get a Challenger with nothing more then the go fast goodies and A/C I bet you could keep the price down low.

A name like Duster will never get old. Problem is, its associated with Plymouth so forget it. I loved all the cars they called Duster. They all lived up to Duster's original formula. Fun, Sporty compact coupe. For sure, a first gen Neon coupe could have been offered as a Duster. Dart- Forget it. Too stodgy. And we had cars badged GTS right into the 2000's. At least here in Canada we had Neon GTS in 01. what a lump. It was a turd base Neon with a very few goodies on it.
I mean if Plymouth was still around imagine their version of the Charger. It would HAVE to be a FURY

-
Back