Retrofit 5.2 in a dart: oil pan

-

CaleFox

Cale Fox
Reaction score
Hey I have a very annoying problem. the magnum 5.2 engine that we put in my 75 dart has a rear sump oil pan and my steering will only allow for a front sump. after trying out the oil pan from the original 318 it became obvious that its not a simple bolt on replacement. long story short i need an oil pan for a 5.2 magnum engine that has a front sump, and if anyone knows where i can get one it would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks!

It should be a simple swap. Why wont it fit ? Are you sure you dont have a 5.9 ?

Wouldn't matter if it was a 5.9L. They use the same pan as a 5.2L. When Chrysler changed to the Magnum engines they kept the rear main O.D. size the same on 5.2's and 5.9's unlike the earlier LA engines which are different size. I know guys have put magnums in A-bodies so their must be a pan to fit. Since you tried the pan off your 318 and it didn't fit maybe a center sump pan off a older 360 non-magnum engine will fit??? Was the O.D. of rear main size the problem why the 318 pan didn't fit? If the pan opening for the rear main cap was too big on the 318 pan the 360 non-magnum engine pan will probably work. If you find this out to be true PM me as I have a good one I will let go cheap. You'll also need a different pickup tube for your oil pump which I will throw in. Do some more research though cause I'm not positive and wouldn't want to sell you something that may not work.

-
Back