RetroSound Power Antenna Install for 67 Dart

-

RatRod

Reaction score
Last time I removed the cover off the Dart I broke the antenna off. Was looking around for a replacement when I came across an article critiquing the RetroSound Power Antenna written by Bob Bihlmeyer from Crutchfield. It was a glowing review which is in the link provided below.

RetroSound MOPAR Antenna

So I took a chance and bought one knowing they are not made in the USA and the mixed reviews on some of RetroSound products. Crutchfield offers a 60 day money back guarantee on it and it doesn't matter if the package has been opened or not. That and the 1 year warranty convinced me to try it.

I'm happy to say after about 20 minutes of fiddling with the Power Antenna unit, I got it inside fender well space. I drilled two holes in the kick panel sheet metal, right by the access hole, so i could anchor the bracket to the body and then anchored the unit to the bracket using two mounting points instead of one which was what the instructions said to do. What I found is that if you only mount the unit to the bracket using one screw the unit will twist when engaged which it not supposed to do. Same story for the mounting to the body, I tired using just one screw but the motor just twisted it up when engaged. Added a second screw and problem solved.

The Power Antenna comes with plenty of wire and several types of mounting pieces for the hood. The unit has weight and the cable is stiff, especially when you get it up inside the fender space.

When all said and done I must have removed the unit 3 or 4 times before I got the bracket that holds it in the space right. There's only a couple inches clearance on each side after its mounted. The antenna works like it should and I'm happy with. I'm not a mechanic and I got this installed. Just need plenty of patience and skinny arms help.

PXL_20230214_193940136.jpg

PXL_20230130_201153298.jpg

PXL_20230130_201554395.jpg

-
Back