Retrosound Radio. YUCK 2/10

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Been saving up for one of those fancy Retrosound radios that is supposed to be just like our factory units but with modern features like bluetooth, ax, USB charging ext.

Well...if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

The unit showed up and the very first thing about it I noticed was its made of incredibly flimsy feeling cheap plastic, the buttons are way smaller than on our originals, and the whole setup felt poorly made.
Ive bought 50$ Amazon radios that felt more solid.

The next thing i noticed was the great big made in CHINA logo. "here we go" i thought. at over 300$ i already wasn't thrilled.

Got my old radio pulled and went to install the retrosound one only to find out its not even close to fitting the stock factory hole,

it just flops around in there, and when snugged down the radio sticks out about an inch and a half outside of your dash preventing you from using the factory bezel (which your supposed to be able to do)

So after maxing out the adjustments on it and adding a ton of washers in places they shouldn't have been, i was finally able to get the face of the radio to sit flush with the dash so the bezel could be installed and guess what...the Knobs stick out way too far and there's a huge gap between them and the bezel, with no adjustment left to move them further in, and to add salt to the wound, the hole in the bezel for the radio face plate doesn't even line up, so with the bezel in place like its supposed to be you cant even see the radio screen which also is digital.

for 300+ $ i expected a lot more. My money says no matter what vehicle year make/model you put in on their website they send you the exact same radio that is made to halfass fit anything, but fits nothing correctly.

it sure wasn't a 71 Duster radio.

I unfortunately do not have any pictures of the fiasco as i was too pissed off about it all after saving up all summer to get it and i promptly pulled it all out and stuffed it back in the box.

To their credit, Crutchfield has thus far made the return process easy.

For those wanting their correct factory look, i highly suggest paying someone to modify you original to have the features you want, or simply do what i decided to do and hide a modern radio under the seat or in the glovebox out of sight.

And the problem with the newer radio's is the buttons are too small and you have to take your eyes off the road to change anything.

I wish you wouldda asked first. I've installed a few helping my friend, Matt. There aren't many things that I would call as cheap or cheaper made than Lokar shifters, but Retrosound is one. I have a Custom Autosound in both my Ford truck Gladys, and Vixen, my Valiant and really like them.

Proof that you cant just assume if the price is expensive the product must be good. Lesson learned.

I have read maybe, MAYBE 1 decent review for 100 bad ones about Retrosound. As simple as it sounds, ask before buying. You could have a non working orig in dash for looks and a quality hidden system for the same money.
Lots of **** reviews.

Honestly, I own a $75 Bluetooth rechargeable speaker and Xm radio app on my phone and that’s it for tunes. I had the face of my factory radio detailed and I literally cut the back off it so it is just a light up face. Dash looks 100% factory and I throw the speaker under the seat when we take the car to a restaurant or show.
Syleng1

Honestly, I own a $75 Bluetooth rechargeable speaker and Xm radio app on my phone and that’s it for tunes. I had the face of my factory radio detailed and I literally cut the back off it so it is just a light up face. Dash looks 100% factory and I throw the speaker under the seat when we take the car to a restaurant or show.
Syleng1
Thats a good idea too, especially for your application. I need something a little more permanent cuz its not uncommon for me to drive the Duster every single day if the weather is nice, and i like to go on long drives and zone out to old tunes. Im just gonna hide a modern radio with bluetooth app.

Look up Bluetooth amplifier on Amazon. Work great and are dirt cheap.

I bought one of those off EBay and it works great.
Of course you can’t believe what they advertise the power output, as I knew right off that was bs.
There is no way an 800 watt amp is in a 3x4 inch box.

Knowing this I did order the 800 watt advertised unit, and figured if it was even part of that it should work ok.

It has about the power output of your average off the shelf unit.
It’s small enough to fit easily in a glovebox or probably even a console.
The Bluetooth function works great, as does the USB, XD card reader and FM stereo.
It also has an input for an existing radio and an Auxiliary input port.
It has its own volume, bass and treble controls.
AND comes with a remote that controls switching functions and stations along with volume.

For less than 25 bucks shipped I was very impressed.
Enough so, that I am going to order a more powerful one.
This is the one I have now.
800W 2 Channel bluetooth Mini HIFI Power Amplifier Audio Stereo Amp Home Car FM | eBay

IMG_4977.png

I have a Bose rechargeable Bluetooth speaker that I really like. It works excellent and has very good sound quality and battery life. Bought it 2 or 3 years ago, still very happy with it. I also have a cheap Dual radio tuner with Bluetooth and a USB port that I bought from Walmart for $40.00 in my Thunderbird, works good, hooked up with the factory amp easily and sounds great.

I don't want to cut may dash, so my current solution is adding a marine guage pod radio. Round, doesn't look out of place next to my tach, and doesn't have all kinds of flasing lights that look out of place on our cars. Has bluetooth and USB capablity.

You don’t need to alter your dash for a Bluetooth one like above. Mount it out of sight, turn up the volume all the way & control it with your phone. Hook up power & ground and hook it to your speakers.

I bought one of those off EBay and it works great.
Of course you can’t believe what they advertise the power output, as I knew right off that was bs.
There is no way an 800 watt amp is in a 3x4 inch box.

Knowing this I did order the 800 watt advertised unit, and figured if it was even part of that it should work ok.

It has about the power output of your average off the shelf unit.
It’s small enough to fit easily in a glovebox or probably even a console.
The Bluetooth function works great, as does the USB, XD card reader and FM stereo.
It also has an input for an existing radio and an Auxiliary input port.
It has its own volume, bass and treble controls.
AND comes with a remote that controls switching functions and stations along with volume.

For less than 25 bucks shipped I was very impressed.
Enough so, that I am going to order a more powerful one.
This is the one I have now.
800W 2 Channel bluetooth Mini HIFI Power Amplifier Audio Stereo Amp Home Car FM | eBay

View attachment 1716155904
Wow, that one is much nicer & cheaper than the one I bought off Amazon

Wow, that one is much nicer & cheaper than the one I bought off Amazon

Huh, I figured if the one I got was advertised at 800 watt for 2 channels and it’s not bad I might try the more powerful 4 channel version.

I have a four channel stereo in my dart right now that pushes two 10’s four 6’s and four tweets.
It’s FM, Bluetooth, CD, MP3 and USB, so I don’t need the Bluetooth amp, except just to play with.

Been saving up for one of those fancy Retrosound radios that is supposed to be just like our factory units but with modern features like bluetooth, ax, USB charging ext.

Well...if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

The unit showed up and the very first thing about it I noticed was its made of incredibly flimsy feeling cheap plastic, the buttons are way smaller than on our originals, and the whole setup felt poorly made.
Ive bought 50$ Amazon radios that felt more solid.

The next thing i noticed was the great big made in CHINA logo. "here we go" i thought. at over 300$ i already wasn't thrilled.

Got my old radio pulled and went to install the retrosound one only to find out its not even close to fitting the stock factory hole,

it just flops around in there, and when snugged down the radio sticks out about an inch and a half outside of your dash preventing you from using the factory bezel (which your supposed to be able to do)

So after maxing out the adjustments on it and adding a ton of washers in places they shouldn't have been, i was finally able to get the face of the radio to sit flush with the dash so the bezel could be installed and guess what...the Knobs stick out way too far and there's a huge gap between them and the bezel, with no adjustment left to move them further in, and to add salt to the wound, the hole in the bezel for the radio face plate doesn't even line up, so with the bezel in place like its supposed to be you cant even see the radio screen which also is digital.

for 300+ $ i expected a lot more. My money says no matter what vehicle year make/model you put in on their website they send you the exact same radio that is made to halfass fit anything, but fits nothing correctly.

it sure wasn't a 71 Duster radio.

I unfortunately do not have any pictures of the fiasco as i was too pissed off about it all after saving up all summer to get it and i promptly pulled it all out and stuffed it back in the box.

To their credit, Crutchfield has thus far made the return process easy.

For those wanting their correct factory look, i highly suggest paying someone to modify you original to have the features you want, or simply do what i decided to do and hide a m
odern radio under the seat or in the glovebox out of sight.
Should of seen the Mickey Mouse setup for am radio in Dad's 72 FJ40 circa 76. The 8 Track and speakers later was awesome lol.

I remember HemiDenny putting a Retrosound in the red car he did for Butch Leal. He didn't really say anything bad about it?

I put a Retrosound in my ‘66 Bug and I love it.

Granted it’s only a shaft radio and not a more complex thumbwheel Redondo.

One big negative about my Retrosound is that it drains the battery within a couple of days.

14346B77-7267-4CDB-AD22-E10765556059.jpeg

-
Back