Return a Cart, Win Cash

-

dibbons

Reaction score
When I saw a sign worded like the one in the title of this thread (as a youngster) I always wondered who would reward me for pushing our shopping cart back to the store from the parking lot? Some kind of customer appreciation gesture?

There is one chain in town where the shopping carts are chained together
Each cart has a lock, with about 3 inches of chain, which then "plugs" into the next carts lock

The magic key thst unlocks the cart is a quarter, and the only way to retrieve the quarter is to return the cart and plug it back in

Very common in Europe, in fact, so common that many places will give away key hangers with fake coins (usually with the stores logo on it) so you never need a euro

That has been in Canada for a long time. It used to be a quarter everywhere but a lot of places have gone to our 1 Dollar coin now. Some places have a system that locks the wheels if you try and take it off property

Ours has the wheel that locks up when you get out of the parking lot. But most of the time it locks up while you're putting your groceries in if you park in the outers of the parking lot. Then you're trying to drag it back to where they're supposed to go and give up and people just leave them wherever.

i went to buy a used welder the other day
the guy asked if i wanted his welding cart too...it was just a steel shopping cart

I worked in grocery stores for 48 years. Theft of those carts is a real problem. $150-$200 apiece, and people seem to think they are free for the taking. We had to quit the plastic hand baskets. About $25, and they not only walked out, they usually were usually full. Shoplifting is a cost of doing business, and contributes to the rise in prices. By the way, I hate a thief!!!

I worked in grocery stores for 48 years. Theft of those carts is a real problem. $150-$200 apiece, and people seem to think they are free for the taking. We had to quit the plastic hand baskets. About $25, and they not only walked out, they usually were usually full. Shoplifting is a cost of doing business, and contributes to the rise in prices. By the way, I hate a thief!!!
I agree I hate the thief and I don't use the word hate very often. On the other hand when I was doing scrap metal and I was extremely reputable when I'd have a grocery store call me and ask me to get rid of some of their shelving and some of their broken shopping carts I would make them sign a waiver about the shopping carts expecially. I mean really people could just go loading up shopping carts and take him down to the scrap. But most scrap yards or Leary to take them also just like a car without a title. Although once there were in my possession and I had legal paperwork to own them I I could have fixed them and turn them into shopping carts for myself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it is possible to legally own one...

Yes it is. We would give damaged carts sometimes. When we upgraded carts at one time, we gave some of them to a thrift store. However, the bulk of what were gone, was because of theft.

We have a grocery cart re building/recycling guy here in eastern Canada. He will accept carts from other jurisdictions , including Trump origin carts. Operates under the don`t ask.. don`t know policy . He even invented a specialized cart recovery vehicle that he utilizes to gather the the lost and broken carts for repair and/ or redistribution.. quite ingenious. He only does this part time between other business endeavors with investment partners . You may be surprised..but he makes enough money on this one venture it to support an animal rescue center ran out of his premises { mainly cats.} "entrepreneur of the year" HRM in 2012.

Last edited:
We have a grocery cart re building/recycling guy here in eastern Canada. He will accept carts from other jurisdictions , including Trump origin carts. Operates under the don`t ask.. don`t know policy . He even invented a specialized cart recovery vehicle that he utilizes to gather the the lost and broken carts for repair and/ or redistribution.. quite ingenious. He only does this part time between other business endeavors with investment partners . You may be surprised up ..but he makes enough money on this one venture it to support an animal rescue center ran out of his premises { mainly cats.} "entrepreneur of the year" HRM in 2012.
this guy?
76fb6b1cd5507ff1ab16d0850133c58d.jpg

-
Back