reverse lamps

-

wireweld

Reaction score
On my 72 dart, I have no power to my reverse lamps. Where is the switch that sends power to the lamps. Its not the fuse, as I check it and it is good.

You have a combination neutral start/backup light switch that's threaded into the lower left front edge of the transmission. It has an electrical connector with three terminals in a row. The two outer terminals are the backup light switch. The terminals are pins that come out of the switch.

You'll need to get under there and unplug the connector from the switch. Using an ohm meter, check for continuity between the outer pins on the switch. You should have continuity only when the transmission is in reverse.

If it tests good with the transmission is in reverse, make sure the connections are clean on those pins and on the wiring socket that plugs into it. Also check the wiring closely for any damage.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but you ought to have 12v on one of those outer wires on the socket when the ignition is on. You would only need to check that if the switch tests good.

And let us know what you find! If everything checks out good, we can help you continue troubleshooting. Either way, I'm sure you can find the problem. Just be sure the car is safely up on jack stands before you get under there.

-
Back