Reverse Manual Valvebody

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
A guy down the street just told me he has a rebuilt, never reinstalled a727 that he was going to put in his duster, years ago. He's getting old and doesn't remember when it was rebuilt but he said 10 to 20 years ago and it's been sitting in his garage since then.
He says I can have it for $200. He thinks that's what the rebuild cost him. Besides dust, it's very clean. He also says he had a floor shifter set up for it.

I'm put a magnum in my dart 5.9liter. Has a 904 trans now. I have no idea how the 904 works because I've never had the car run.

I know there are a lot of opinions on manual valve bodies for street use and mine will be a daily driver but for the cash, I feel like this is a good bet.

What says you guys?

Hillbillybuddha

Keep in mind that you'll have to swap drive shafts too.

Oh yeah. He said he had a new drive shaft for it as well. But he has to look for it. But that's for a duster but I'm guessing it'll work on my dart swinger.

I'd run the 904 you have now for a driver. If you think his 727 is a decent build, I'd buy it and put it under the bench, for now. Could come in handy some day? As far as buying it just for the MVB, you don't need it in my opinion.

I love MVBs with an aftermarket floor shifter, reverse or forward pattern. I prefer not to mess with kick down linkage or cables. I like shifting manually but having no clutch, it's a lazymans A833 lol. My car is a driver, my sweptline will be driver too with same setup.
For me it would be no choice, I would put the 727 in ASAP. $200 is a good deal if he knew what he was doing on the rebuild.

Maybe he has a cheap loose converter kicking around as well?

Oh yeah. He said he had a new drive shaft for it as well. But he has to look for it. But that's for a duster but I'm guessing it'll work on my dart swinger.

You will need a 727 specific converter because 904 converter is different. There is also the issue of external balance weight used on 5.9 Magnums, which is different than the 360 LA engines. The correct B&M flexplate can fix that with a neutral converter either way.

As for driveshafts, his won't work because a Duster (Demon and Dart Sport ) has a 108" wheelbase while the Swinger has a 111" wheelbase! Rear u-joint size can be different too - 7260 vs 7290.

I feel it would get old fast in a daily. Stick with what you have. I have a reverse manual valve body in my dart. But my car is only a odd weekend cruiser to car events I find time for. Nothing close to a daily. **** my car is lucky to see 500miles in the 4 months of good weather we have. Manual valve body requires a little attention while driving, and it will take a little time to reprogram your brain that the pattern is reversed. In the past I have brain farted and down shifted instead of upshifting before. thank god it was a low speed.

Not saying it not a good deal. If it checks out at $200 you could easily flip it for more cash or save it for future.

If its 20years old I also doubt it has low band apply.

I love MVBs with an aftermarket floor shifter, reverse or forward pattern. I prefer not to mess with kick down linkage or cables. I like shifting manually but having no clutch, it's a lazymans A833 lol. My car is a driver, my sweptline will be driver too with same setup.
For me it would be no choice, I would put the 727 in ASAP. $200 is a good deal if he knew what he was doing on the rebuild.

Maybe he has a cheap loose converter kicking around as well?

This, buy a converter to match.. 96-97,was the swap year on Magnums. If the flex plate has (weights 96-up^), run a 318-340 neutral converter. Order a new good converter,depending on how fast you wanna go.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up. But maybe I can use it in my sweptline and put my sweptline ' s a833 into my dart. Do the bell housings match?

He doesn't have the converter, he said that's why he never installed the trans. He ordered one but after a year of going back and forth with the company they ended up refunding his money.

He also says he had some new (never used) leaf springs that went to his duster. Anyone know if they will fit a dart swinger?

-
Back