Rewiring/disassembling a socket

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, currently redoing the rear harness in our 67 FB cuda. Most of wiring is in good shape, BUT brittle as hell. Has anyone disassembled a socket like this? Trunk light. I would like to do the stop/turn/tail sockets also if possible.
Thanks all.

20220421_051027.jpg

Morning Steve. The contact plate should push right out after the boot is slid back. WD40 on the wire will help with the sliding. That is if it has a boot!

upload_2022-4-21_7-56-10.jpeg

Last edited:
I have done them. Push the wires through . Unwind the spring over the wire. Clean and lube the socket and contacts rewind a strong spring if yours is not rusted stretch it for more tension.

You can also remove and resolder the contacts then you can rebuild the complete socket with new parts. I have silver soldered original brackets onto new sockets when the socket was rusted upon repair. You can also replate your socket. I looked it up on Youtube and now do my tonka parts and carb parts.

Cutting the wires to dismantle is also an option

Thanks for the help guys, this is the trunk light, so no boot on it. I was hoping to replace and solder the wires. Orig are in good shape , but brittle and I'm already replacing 99% of the rear harness anyway.
Morning Steve. The contact plate should push right out after the boot is slid back. WD40 on the wire will help with the sliding. That is if it has a boot!

View attachment 1715911446

I have done them. Push the wires through . Unwind the spring over the wire. Clean and lube the socket and contacts rewind a strong spring if yours is not rusted stretch it for more tension.

You can also remove and resolder the contacts then you can rebuild the complete socket with new parts. I have silver soldered original brackets onto new sockets when the socket was rusted upon repair. You can also replate your socket. I looked it up on Youtube and now do my tonka parts and carb parts.

Cutting the wires to dismantle is also an option

Well, I "cheated" lol. You can buy the new guts for around $2....no brainer. Pico #5421-BP. Bought it with the intentions to replace all the guts but removing the white base in oem was a pain, due to the dimple in socket housing, plus lots of sproing left in my spring.The oem guts on mine were good, just the wires were brittle. So I simply swapped wires lol. Then soldered new wires together for that part of rear harness. I ordered 2 more to do the tail lights.

20220423_001104.jpg

20220423_001154.jpg

20220423_001210.jpg

20220423_001348.jpg

-
Back