RHS heads with 1.44" O.D. valvespring?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Has anybody had their RHS spring pad's cut for a 1.44" O.D. valve spring? Did you have any issues with the springs or retainers contacting the rocker arms?

Wanting to open up my RHS heads from the 1.3" pad to a 1.45" for wider variety in spring options and cheaper price, but im not sure if my Hughes 1.6 shaft mount rocker arms will clear the retainer or spring. If anybody has any experience with this and is willing to share it would be greatly appreciated!

...........i think u can use beehive springs............i think thats how brian[ou812] at IMM engines does it..........kim......

Honestly, most springs over 1.43 have clearance issues with large body rocker arms, no matter if they are rhs or J heads.

what rocker arms are you using?

I have Brian's RHS heads, but have enough cam where the beehive's aren't exactly what im after anymore to do the job. Brian has never tried the bigger springs since all the heads he sets up are with the beehives, and he is the one who told me he is not sure if the bigger springs will fit, so I thought I would ask on the forums to see if anyone has tried with success.

I am using Hughes 1.6 ratio shaft mount rockers

There are double springs that will work for my current spring pad O.D., but they are quite a bit more expensive

Most all the RHS I have done have been with dual springs for solid cams or rollers. 1.46" seem to fit good.

The fuzzy pic is of our 2010 MMM engine challenge, it ran Hughes rockers and 1.46 springs, no issues. Ran it to 7800rpm about 70 times on the dyno.

Attachments

• RHS springs.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 316
  • RHS springs-2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 282
Most all the RHS I have done have been with dual springs for solid cams or rollers. 1.46" seem to fit good.

The fuzzy pic is of our 2010 MMM engine challenge, it ran Hughes rockers and 1.46 springs, no issues. Ran it to 7800rpm about 70 times on the dyno.

Hey Mike, thanks for responding!

Couple of questions for you- did you have to open up the spring pockets to fit those springs, or were yours already cast to fit the wider O.D. spring? Looks like there are locators under those springs

Are you spring pads machined down for a taller installed height? What was the installed height you were running?

And with the Hughes rockers, 1.5 or 1.6? Shims under the shafts?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a clearer picture of whether I will have any issues?

Thanks!
Matthew

I used PRM stainless rockers 1.6 ratio, with eddy heads. Had to grind just a small amount on underside of the rocker. Pollish-up real good after grinding, so as not to creat a fracture point. Holds up well at 7k!

I have RHS heads from Hughes with their 1110 springs - not sure the OD but I used PRW stainless 1.6 ratio and had to machine a bit off the underside to clear. They are quite hard , buyt easily done with carbide tooling. I used a ball endmill so so it would blend with a radius not a sharp edge -no spot for stress fracture to start

I'm confused. My RHS/Indy LA-X heads have approx. 1.5" spring pads with the guide "step" a little smaller than 1". The Comp Cams 26056 beehive springs I run are advertised at 1.454" O.D. and drop right on without any machining. Are yours the Magnum versions with smaller pads?

Plenty of clearance for my Harland Sharp rockers. But I had them "adjusted" for better geometry only.

I'm confused. My RHS/Indy LA-X heads have approx. 1.5" spring pads with the guide "step" a little smaller than 1". The Comp Cams 26056 beehive springs I run are advertised at 1.454" O.D. and drop right on without any machining. Are yours the Magnum versions with smaller pads?

Plenty of clearance for my Harland Sharp rockers. But I had them "adjusted" for better geometry only.

Myron, im running the LA versions with shaft mounted rockers. Maybe the earlier versions had a smaller spring pad? I got my heads back around 2009 or 2010 if I remember correctly.

So you had no clearancing of the rocker body for retainter/rocker clearance?

Also, what rpm are you taking those beehives too with the solid flat tappet cam?

I got my heads about 2-3 years ago also. I actually have a hydraulic cam, but it's those tricked-out Schubeck/Smith lifters that are popular in Stock class racing. Composite puck and about .015-.020 plunger travel. I shift & go through around 68 in the 1/4. The valves I got through Comp Cams were something like 5.01" (No longer available.) and I think it was +.050" valve locks that I got a little more height with. Pressures are suppose to be around 170 closed/370 open, but I haven't double-checked the heights or pressures after getting them back from the shop. (I got these heads approved for IHRA crate motors because they allowed R/T Magnums years before but nothing for LA engines.)

Gotta watch the rocker geometry, especially if you go with longer valves.

If you find beehive springs with the pressures needed, they provide plenty of rocker clearance. I use to clearance Crane ductile iron rockers with regular springs before they allowed roller rockers in Stock on my OEM heads. Swapping in these same springs eliminated that problem there as well.

Attachments

• Indy-RHS heads 001.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Indy-RHS heads 002.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 205
I got my heads about 2-3 years ago also. I actually have a hydraulic cam, but it's those tricked-out Schubeck/Smith lifters that are popular in Stock class racing. Composite puck and about .015-.020 plunger travel. I shift & go through around 68 in the 1/4. The valves I got through Comp Cams were something like 5.01" (No longer available.) and I think it was +.050" valve locks that I got a little more height with. Pressures are suppose to be around 170 closed/370 open, but I haven't double-checked the heights or pressures after getting them back from the shop. (I got these heads approved for IHRA crate motors because they allowed R/T Magnums years before but nothing for LA engines.)

Gotta watch the rocker geometry, especially if you go with longer valves.

If you find beehive springs with the pressures needed, they provide plenty of rocker clearance. I use to clearance Crane ductile iron rockers with regular springs before they allowed roller rockers in Stock on my OEM heads. Swapping in these same springs eliminated that problem there as well.

Great info Myron, I appreciate it! It is obvious from even just looking at your pics that your spring pockets are larger then mine...mine need opening to look like that.

I had the Comp beehives that Brian sets up these RHS heads with, but we both decided a dual spring would be better suited to the solid flat tappet im going to run (kudos for turning the hydraulic where you do and getting it all to work!). There are double springs that will work with what I have for spring pockets, but I would really like to use something cheaper and more common if I can get away with it.

Going to talk with Brian some more about this tomorrow to see what spring stuff he can set me up with on ferrea valves in my heads

Glad to help.
Strange that your heads are machined differently. For what it's worth, I got mine direct from Comp Cams/RHS. Maybe one set through Summit.

I may try higher spring pressures with those same springs to insure the lifters stay on the cam lobes. 7,000 isn't a lot, but the cam has pretty steep ramps. Many Stock racers have seat pressures over 200 and open well over 400! Lots of unique things get done in this class.

Good luck!

Glad to help.
Strange that your heads are machined differently. For what it's worth, I got mine direct from Comp Cams/RHS. Maybe one set through Summit.

I may try higher spring pressures with those same springs to insure the lifters stay on the cam lobes. 7,000 isn't a lot, but the cam has pretty steep ramps. Many Stock racers have seat pressures over 200 and open well over 400! Lots of unique things get done in this class.

Good luck!

Wow, those pressures on hydraulic flat tappets??? thats nuts lol...Stock racing is serious, love the dedication to those cars, yours included, to get every last bit outta them.

Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it!

-
Back