right angle oil filter adapter

-

75dust440

75dust340
Reaction score
I've been hearing that if possible to go straight out of the block with a shorty filter. I have the right angle one, and it's a little troublesome with a oil drop here and there. When I first put it on it leaked bad so I tightened it up. I did the cam break in and changed oil and filter and it's working pretty good but I think I'm going to come off the side of the block with a ph16? right now i
I'm using a Fram PH8A and some people are saying the Frams are no good, to use a Wix or STP short filter. I also wonder if the right angle doesn't effect the flow somewhat. Any oppinions welcome on this subject. Thanks.

Yes, you can, but depending on your headers/exhaust manifold this may or may not be more accessible. The shorty is the Fram PH43 and equivalent. The old orange Fram has been demonstrated to be lacking in internal filter material, but now they make 3 grades of filter, so presumably the top-grade one is first rate. And I have seen V12 Ferraris with a pair of orange PH8As sitting in the V, so they can't have been all that terrible, even at that. The NAPA Gold and Wix premium filters are supposed to be the best, it's agreed.

As for the right angle affecting flow, I don't know, but I suspect that would be something to worry about when you have optimized your entire oiling system on a seriously built-up motor. The adapter shouldn't leak, properly installed with new gaskets. And you need to balance the flow question against the loss of capacity and filter area when you go to a shorty. Really, I would expect you would be OK either way on a stock-to-moderate street engine, so go ahead with whatever is more convenient.

If you are talking about a big hit of nitrous at WOT then you should approach this more scientifically, i.e. research some actual numbers.

Just my 2¢...

My user name throws my questions off sometimes. It's a 340 thats in my car. Sorry for not being specific.

I also used the PH43 on my 318 instead of the PH8 on my 318. The 43 is shorter and I started using them after I installed my headers, but I now get the Napa Gold Filters. Don't have that number memorized yet. I've thought about getting either a 90 degree adapter or doing a remote oil filter relocation as getting the oil filter out with the headers and torsion bars is a real bear! Other than that I like having the headers!

Napa 1068 is for the short filter. I use a Napa 1348 which is the 2.2/2.5 filter. This filter screws right on and gives a lot more room, also it is very easy to snake thru the headers being it is so small. I change my oil every 3000 miles so it is of no issue as far as keeping the oil clean. You can also remove the lower bellhousing bolt with the filter still on with the 1348.

Chuck

I am running the hooker comps. and I can take the entire right angle off without a problem. So a filter right into the block shouldn't be a problem.thanks for your replies.

-
Back