Right Angle Oil Filter Gasket Question

-

FJRdoc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am ready to attach my cast iron right angle oil filter adapter on my 1970 340 engine. My Felpro gasket kit includes the thin metallic gasket for under the bolt head, the thicker cork gasket for the inside of the bolt and what appears to be 2 of the large round gaskets that could be used for mounting the adapter to the engine block. One of the larger gaskets is thinner and more of a fiber material. The other is thicker. Does anybody know which gasket I need to use for my application?

I think that one of them is for the carb to air cleaner.

I would test fit the larger one for around the oil fiter adapter base to see which one fits the best. That should be the right one.

Duh! I didn't even think about the carb to air cleaner base gasket. Thanks krazykuda.

I've been searching the web as well as my FSM but haven't been able to find a torque value for the adapter attaching bolt. Does anybody know how many ft-lbs?

Word of caution with the supplied large base gasket.........it may be too thin and it won't allow the base to fully seal against the block. I recall the old M/P the gasket was too thin. Mancini had a proper thickness base gasket that they used to hand out to anyone who bought the M/P 90* adapter gasket kit. The thinner gasket would allow the oil to drool down the side of the block. I got the thicker Mancini supplied gasket and no more drooling 340.

Drag your adapter across sand paper on a flat surface on the block surface until the entire surface is shiny (flat) before installing. I had a major leak on mine, did this with new gaskets and no leak. You might as well be proactive prior to installing.

Word of caution with the supplied large base gasket.........it may be too thin and it won't allow the base to fully seal against the block. I recall the old M/P the gasket was too thin. Mancini had a proper thickness base gasket that they used to hand out to anyone who bought the M/P 90* adapter gasket kit. The thinner gasket would allow the oil to drool down the side of the block. I got the thicker Mancini supplied gasket and no more drooling 340.

Is that an issue with the base plate also or only the 90° adapter? I've not had a problem using the gasket from the rebuild kits on the base plate for the oil filter.

I smoothed off both gasket surfaces and cleaned them well with paint thinner. Applied high- tack adhesive to both surfaces, lined up the adapter and bolted her on. The large base gasket in my kit appeared to be thicker than a standard gasket. I guess we'll see how she holds oil when the engine gets primed.

I smoothed off both gasket surfaces and cleaned them well with paint thinner. Applied high- tack adhesive to both surfaces, lined up the adapter and bolted her on. The large base gasket in my kit appeared to be thicker than a standard gasket. I guess we'll see how she holds oil when the engine gets primed.

If it's thicker and you can't see a gap, then it should be ok...

I've used the gasket that comes in the Fel-pro gasket kits from Mancini Racing for years without any problems on just the base plate (not the 90° adapter).

You should be good, just keep a good eye on it when you start it up and let it run for a while to make sure that it's not leaking. Maybe put a clean piece of cardboard on the ground under the filter when you test start it, so you can see if it drips/leaks any.

-
Back