Right front wheel grabs on dirt & gravel!

-

hoop

Reaction score
Put new brakes on & a used drum on( drum looks good, one light grove near edge) Right front wheel grabs on dirt & gravel, all springs are in right place on right side, adjusted bearing 1 time by feel, 2 times at 70inch pounds, steel douse same, tried adjusting brakes more, no change, its brakes even, but in the drive way on loose gravel or dirt it wants to grab putting on the brakes lightly. What do you all think, douse the drum may need to be turned?

Is the short shoe to the front and long shoe to the rear? I had this same problem once when I was a teenager. I put them in the wrong location and instant lock up.

Varying finishes on the friction surfaces can make a great deal of difference when the brake shoes engage.

If you did not rebuild both front wheel cyclinders, or replace both, then that needs to be done. The left one may have some crud in it that makes it activate slower. Also, check the left vs right springs and make sure the left is adjusted the same. It all needs to be 100% the same between left and right, or one or the other will activate first and it'll pull. Then turn the drums if that does not do it.

-
Back