Right Stuff Detailing brake kit for 64 Valiant?

-

glockr

Reaction score
My 64 has those tiny little 9" drums all the way around. I'll worry about the back brakes later, but for now I want to convert to front disc. Has anyone used the manual conversion kit from Right Stuff Detailing? I need a complete kit and this one seems to have pretty much everything I need (pic below). If you've used this kit, I have some questions...
1. What do you think about the quality of the kit?
2. Does it use standard B body pads when I need replacements?
3. If I get the manual kit, can I just remove the stock booster (car currently has power brakes, wanting to convert to manual) and bolt the kit to the firewall using the stock brake pedal and linkage to master cylinder?
4. If the answer to #3 is no, what other parts would I need to find to convert to manual brakes?
5. What wheel back spacing would I need to keep the wheels/tires centered? Equal (i.e. 3.5" on a 7" wheel) or offset towards the inside or outside?
Thanks for any info you can share on this kit.

brake-kit.PNG

You will be converting to a dual brake system with this kit so you will be needing a distribution block and new lines that are not included in this kit. I only assume that the M/C will bolt up to your pedal with the provided adjustable rod. You will need at least 14" wheels.

the M/C will bolt up to your pedal with the provided adjustable rod. You will need at least 14" wheels.
I did this to a 68 Valiant.Removed the booster that was bad and went manual.The kit shown has everything but the hard lines that can be easily made.Or you can buy them already made.
Factory brake pads 1973 up are used for the slider type calipers.
Are the rotors for 4 1/2'' bolt pattern ?
Wheel back space using a 6'' wheel for the front and a rear wheel with a 7'' wide and a 4 1/4'' or 4 1/2'' backspace will maintain a good look as this kit will widen the front track about 1 1/2'' per side.
The photos below are of a 63 Valiant using the same set up.
Front wheels are 14''x6'' rear are 15'' x7'' factory steel wheels both 4 1/2'' bolt pattern.I swapped the stock 63 7 1/4'' rear for a 1974 Dart 7 1/4'' rear with the biger bolt pattern and 10'' rear brakes.

Threequarter_front.jpg

Threequarter_rear.jpg

The 68 Valiant using the same wheel/tire combo/brake kit as the 63 Valiant.

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

Last edited:
That looks to be a pretty comprehensive kit.

The MC will bolt directly to the firewall. Looks like there is an adjustable push rod included so that will work.

Plumb the adjustable prop valve in the line going to the rear. I mount mine on the frame rail in the firewall vicinity.

I also mounted a simple brass tee on the frame rail. Line from MC in, 2 lines out to each front brake.

With the adjustable prop valve there is no other parts needed. I did this on my 64 and 68. Keep it simple, less connections mean less plumbing and chance of leaks.

-
Back