Ring and Pinion install price?

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
Got a quote of $265 to install a ring and pinion, is that about what it goes for now days? It's a 8 1/4 suregrip.
Thanks Bruce

when i had a shop we used to do r&p swaps in the newer mustangs (same general type of axle) and generally charged around $400 in including gears/setup kit. it usually takes an hour or two to properly set one up as long as you don't run into any problems. your shop should be checking everything with a dial gauge and it needs to be right on for that price. if possible you should hang out and watch how its done, its really not very difficult, special tools required are an impact wrench and the aforementioned dial gauge. other than that once you learn how to do it, it can be done in the garage or carport with ease.
-tim

Might not be of much use to you since I`m in Canada but I paid $350 (dollar is at par) for a rear end specialty shop to install a new ring and pinion, new sure-grip, fluid, outer seals & bearings and along with the other goodies that come in a Yukon Gear master overhaul kit.

It takes longer than an hour to do it properly and you need more than an impact and a dial indicator.You cannot set pinion bearing preload with an impact.

I thought that was a little high as that is only the install, they said 3 hrs shop time, no parts included. I would like to do it myself, I need a good dial indicator for the engine build anyway, so I will need? torque wrench inch lbs, what tool sets pinion depth? Found a book for $29, supposed to be for most all rear ends. I can buy the master install kit for around $65-80 depending on brand. Which kit would be the best?
Thanks for all the help Bruce

I didn't think that price was high.You can buy the tools and try to do it yourself,but it is more than just measuring things,most times the pinion depth measurement the give you does not produce the correct pattern.The pattern is what dictates if it is correct not their number.Most people forget that it is not just someones time you are paying for ,it is their knowledge also.If you have never done it you can either pay him now or pay him later and buy a second set of gears when it doesn't work out.

Monte is right. After you do it once it won't be bad but you'll scratch you head before you get done the first time. Doing a Dana 30 today for my brother(jeep).

I agree with Monte and Smallblock. If you haven't done it yet it's better to pay the guy the first time and watch him do it (if they'll let you). I bought a video from Summit yrs. ago when I did my first one and even though they showed step by step it's not nearly as good as actually being there. A pinion depth gauge and dial indicator will cost you $150 or more. I know the dial indicator is a useful tool but the pinion depth gauge is only useful for setting pinion depths so it won't see much use. It's also the expensive tool.

$265 isn't a bad price at all. Most shops around here charge $300-325 just for labor.

I've seen some pinion depth gauge kits in the $100 range recently.

I'd spend the money on the kit and learn how to do it. That way if ever need to do another you have the skill, plus, if someone else needs one done, you can help out and teach them, maybe make some money to boot.

Had the same thing happen when my AC compressor blew on my truck. Places wanted 300+ to flush/recharge. I spent under $100 on tools/freon and did it myself. Now if i ever need to do it again, I have the tools and ability. 8)

I thought there was a video available. Randy's ring and pinion maybe?

I can't recall. Help me!

LOL...

I thought there was a video available. Randy's ring and pinion maybe?

I can't recall. Help me!

LOL...

There is. Summit sells one I know of. I mentioned it above and how it's OK but there's nothing like being there cause some of the things they show aren't up close and hard to tell exactly what their doing. I learned allot more watching a guy do it.

Thanks for al the info guys I just like to do all this stuff myself, not really about the money, accu has a video but I think I'll take it to San Antonio, met a mopar guy with a shop at the pinks all out, watch him do it and learn how.
Thanks again
Bruce

-
Back