Ring Gear Contact Pattern

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone experienced setting up rear ends? I'm assembling a narrowed 9.25 axle for my '71 Duster. The problem I'm having is no matter what pinion shim I use the drive side pattern stays low on the toe. Backlash set within specs at 6-10 thousandths.The instruction booklet I have with the Auburn Sure Grip [Yukon] says to ignore the heel & toe pattern & concentrate only on the pattern from root to crown or sometimes called flank to face because that guarantees correct pinion depth.That I agree with. An deal heal to toe pattern cannot be achieved without pinion bore alignment machine work. I'm a little too paranoid to set it that way for fear of gear noise. I've "literally " set this thing up 101 times! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've used the recommended .020 shim but the pattern stays low on the drive side but covers about 3/4 of the gear teeth. With no shim at all the pattern is high on the drive side. Too high in fact. A .007 to a .018 shim was tried but again not deep enough. Anything less than a .020 the pattern is not deep enough into the gear teeth and may whine. I wonder if I have defective gears. They are OEM gears with an Auburn sure grip. I wonder if I have it set correctly but just don't know it. I'm paranoid. I have about $1200 in the rear end. It's a 9.25 Chrysler with 8.75 axle ends BTW. I'll try to post pics. Thanks for responding.

Img5E0805F1.jpg

That pattern looks good to me.Dont worry about front to back on the tooth,just worry about how deep its to the bottom and top of the tooth,its looks to me like your centered perfect from the pic.In the perfect world they would be dead in the center everywhere but that is rarley seen.From what i see in your pic you shouldnt see any noise out of them.

that pattern looks good to me.dont worry about front to back on the tooth,just worry about how deep its to the bottom and top of the tooth,its looks to me like your centered perfect from the pic.in the perfect world they would be dead in the center everywhere but that is rarley seen.from what i see in your pic you shouldnt see any noise out of them.

x2

If it were me I'd add .010-.015 more shim to start with...you should see it start to come around...just my take on it

The pattern shown is with a .023 shim. If I add more shim the pattern would be even lower on the bottom. I'll try to remove about .003 to bring the pattern up. Thanks for the input fellas.

The attached files are with a .023 shim and .006-.010 backlash. Any comments,feedback?

Img125F002A(2).jpg

Img18330790(3).jpg

It is just slightly deep so if you can take away .003 do that. The backlash looks ok but I noticed you said it's .006-.010". Does the carrier have quite a bit of runout?

Chrysler specifies .006-.010 backlash on this axle so that's where I set it. The carrier is within specs at .003 runout.

I thought you meant it varied from .006-.010" from the tight point to the loose point. I had one with a carrier with .005" runout that did that once. That's why I asked. Just a misunderstanding.

Here's a .030 shim installed with .006-.010 backlash. Much better pattern on the coast side. I'll try to post pics of the drive side. I pulled this shim out of a junkyard rear.

Img298041A(13).jpg

-
Back