Riv nut installation tool

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I had to install two 1/4-20" riv nuts on my framerail for a mounting bracket, and made my own puller for them that i'd like to share. The bolt, tube nut, and star washer pieces for the puller came from lowes. The stainless spacer washers i had in my scrounge, as well as the needle bearing plate. Pix show assembly. You tighten the riv nut tightly against the star washer so it doesnt turn.

To install, you use a wrench on the bolt head to keep it from turning , then tighten down on the tube nut to draw up the back of the riv nut. When fully tightened, just loosen the bolt, and spin the whole puller assembly out.

2 things help to keep these tight. Making a precision hole for the nut so theres no play when you first put the riv nut in the hole, and wet installing with JB weld on the sides of the nut. I use laquer thinner and a paper towel to remove the excess epoxy before it dries.

20161111_142836.jpg

20161111_142954.jpg

20161111_145553.jpg

20161111_144731.jpg

20161111_151421.jpg

20161111_153144.jpg

Great job should go to the weird tips thread. Riv nuts are the best!

and the tool is expensive. The shop that sells them here call them nutserts

I just broke down for one, does 3 metric and three standard under 80 shipped so not to bad. Just not good in a tight space. I do have a few of the generic wrench type they are so so like his idea way better!

i spent about $5 on the puller pieces at lowes, because i had to buy the multipak baggies.

I think i will be using these for my radiator flanges for my fan shroud instead of using deep throated clip nuts.

Last edited:
I purchased a kit for smaller sizes at my work. Fortunately work paid for it as it's a specialized tool/kit. My group uses them mostly for radio related installation into and on sheet metal where you wouldn't want to use a self tapping "tech" screw.

We use 10-32 and 8-32 at work on metal galley trim pieces where hinges, curtains and stuff attach. I used a nice 10-32 one on my old 60 el camino firewall for a body grounding point off the engine since the sheetmetal was wallered out too bad.

I have the nutsert tool that so resemble the rivet gun....however I personally think the other nutsert tool that is hand held and used a wrench and allen wrench does the better job of installing the tool due to what I think is the ability to apply a bit greater pressure very much like the home made unit above... I just set aside in a baggy the amount of nutserts to install the roof rack on my 51 Plymouth 2 door wagon..these pups give you the ability to pull the fat out of the fire so to speak

-
Back