RMVB 727 issue

-

axelofevil

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm having a little issue with a newly rebuilt 727 trans. New red alto clutches and kolene steels and a turbo action rmvb. When I drive down the road I shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd everything seems fine, I come to a stop and down shift into 1st while at a complete stop. I take off and it seems like it is in either 2nd or 3rd gear for a moment ( a few feet ) then it drops into 1st without my hand even being on the shifter. Has anyone experienced anything like this or could point me in the right direction to start looking for the cause? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Is it a reverse band apply, I.E. compression braking valve body? Try shifting into neutral at a stop and then back into first to see what it does.

Is it a reverse band apply, I.E. compression braking valve body? Try shifting into neutral at a stop and then back into first to see what it does.
HI Garrett, thanks for your reply. It has no band apply in first, but I will try as you mentioned tomorrow to see if it makes any difference. I should also mention that I did not have this problem when new, it developed after about the first 20 or 30 miles.

I had that trouble. It was a sticking valve in the governor. I had to remove the tail shaft and replace it. Cleaning didn’t help.

Correct me if I’m wrong... but with a reverse manual valve body can’t you remove the governor all together, wouldn’t that not be an issue?

Correct me if I’m wrong... but with a reverse manual valve body can’t you remove the governor all together, wouldn’t that not be an issue?

Yes but from what I’ve read not always necessary. The OP said newly rebuilt so he would know. Maybe it needs to go back to builder.

Are you still using the kickdown linkage with the valve body?

UPDATE! Thanks to everyone who responded! Garrett, I did as you suggested in post #2 and put it into neutral after coming to a stop and noticed the shifter did'nt seemed a little off. I originally adjusted the shifter cable from p-r-n-1-2-3 and everything seemed spot on. I even rechecked this before posting here. But I noticed that when you go from 3-2-1-n especially from 2-1 the shifter was not putting the trans shift linkage all the way into 1st. so now an adjustment of the shifter cable should fix things until funds are available for a new shifter. I was planning on a new shifter anyways, so thanks again!

-
Back