Road trip pics. (Haul Road, North slope)

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
Last week, I drove my pickup to Deadhorse to do a small fence job. It was cold, it hit under -50 I think in the stretch after Atigun pass.... BRRRR!!!!!

braap094.jpg

braap098.jpg

braap105.jpg

I have a Video (Kinda dark) of me climbing Atigun pass on the way back, pulling a 8K trailer, I'll post it I guess, but it's really just sound. I guess if you like turbo noise, haha.

Brings back good memories. I remember the first time i landed in Deadhorse in October of 77. I steped off the plane and looked around and said to myself "Where in the hell am i ?". Worked up on the slope for 13 yrs for Veco Int. As a matter of fact myself and another kid, Tim Call hung the first Veco sign in Deadhorse at the request of Bill Allen. That is an awesome part of the world if you look at it for what it is rather than what you want it to be. Done some awesome fishing up there where most people will never see. How many have ever caught a 31" arctic char? Hanging on the wall. If i were a single man Alaska is where i'd be. Thanks for the memories 78.
Small Block

Ahhhh Veco, I think we have all worked for them, LOL.

The biggest Char I caught, was around 25", right under the bridge on the Sag, heading to DS-2..........

20" was average, and almost every cast, in July. Good eating, them fish. I would work there, is it was still the "Old Slope". Now, I just occasionally drive to and from.

Sag River. We would charter a plane out of Deadhorse and fly about 80 miles north up to an old dew line station and walk up the beach to an outlet of a lake which ran into the bering sea. It was only about 20 feet wide and like you said. Every cast and they were beauties. You could look off the coast and see very large icebergs floating just out of reach. How about Kuparuk? Had to run out there one time and do some repair work on the first drill rig to ever grace that area. 4 wheel drive only. That was back in the day when we were running whores and boot legged whisky. A $5 bottle of R&R would sell for $20 all day long. We built the first shallow oil recovery plant called the West Sac Pilot Project. Would heat water and pump it down hole and break loose the frozen oil and bring it out to the surface then to the seperators, reheat the water and do it again. It was a cold, cold winter. They would shut us down at 30 below when we were torqueing the bolts for the red iron unless we heated them with propane torches and brought em up to temp. Did a lot of neat work up there. Many shutdowns on the GC's.
Small Block

-50, damn that is cold. noticed your grill is covered, would imagine at that temp even that does not help much in the way of keeping your diesel warm.....

actually, it does wonders, the engine temp never cooled, when moving, the winter front keeps the cool breeze off of the radiator, and when idling, I kick the idle up to about 900, and turn the pacbrake on. I wired in a pedal bypass switch to a toggle on the dash, keeps the engine temp right up, and the exhaust temp at about 650F. Nice and toasty. I have also made a tank heater, by wrapping a return line around the heater hoses, keeps the fuel about 40F at that temp. LOL, pull the cap off, and the fuel is steaming...... WEIRD..

I did have one misshap, the hose for the transfer tank broke off, right at the fual tank side of the fitting, and I had no clue. 1 in the morning, I pulled over to put fuel in it, turned the pump on, and gave the back window, roof, hood, and me a nice diesel shower. I had to bucket the fuel into a funnel made out of a additive bottle. It was -41 where that happened.

I love my truck and all, and it was fun, buuut, the trips I have taken in the semi were much more enjoyable. Lots of heaters, sleeper, and the fridge/microwave were nice too.

-
Back