Road trip stories

-
Trip from HE _ _!

Around 1989 I found a 67 Coronet RT in Chicago HEMI car body. (Colorado to Chicago & back) Guy sent pictures and we talked back & forth, sent a deposit and time for trip. I borrowed a truck from a friend, used my trailer that the same friend had been using. Loaded up tools and such and was headed out of 4th of July weekend with the wife. (we left the 2 kids (3 & 6 years old) with a friend at the house. Some where along the way we were on a 4 lane in a construction zone going along like 45 and the truck started slowing down abruptly, I looked back and there was a ton of smoke behind me, come to find out my securing techniques are not so good. the center of the floor of the trailer had been cut out (expanded metal) and the spare tire had fallen forward and down and was dragging real bad, wasted that tire! Further down the road somewhere (again my securing techniques) and I lost a ramp. I hope no one got hurt when it left the trailer! Finally made it to Chicago, checked the Coronet out and was very dissapointed (rust and a subframe had rust in it, not disclosed) he would not give me my deposit back soagainst my better judgement we loaded it up, headed out and was still in Chicago, decided to pull off and check everything out and found the trailer hitch was falling off the truck, lose and missing bolts. it was a Sunday, had a hard time finding a parts store but finally did, got everything bolted back up and headed on our way home. somewhere along the way the truck started overheating, pulled over and ended up taking out the thermostat and it cured it. Then later we get a call from the gal watching our 2 girls, things not going well there (I believe one was sick) drove like gangbusters to get back home as we were stressed with the problems and the sick kids. Just a rotten trip.

Later on in the end , got divorced and ended up selling the car and a parts car. Pretty much gave it away though. (WS23J77175635) A few years later at the MOPAR meet in Denver the Coronet was there full restored. Don't know how much of the car was still real though. It was beautiful!

My story

O.K.,in my Y2K Chevy Rat era.... Button willow raceway,(think Taft ,CA). The local street machine club,scored a 1/8 mile drags gig at Button. We left at 4 a.m.,took our time(left Pismo Beach). In the caravan,two Carson our group. (4:56 /4 speed/327 66 Nova post/ an 73 Chevelle 4 speed/home built LS 6). Mind you,all of these guys,were under 20..
We got there,and had fun. The first problem ,leaving... The Chevelle's neutral safety switch ,dies.Hump it ,with the screwdriver trick. (100+ degrees,on the macadam). We roll through the central California valley,sucking on icebags as we travel.. we end up in Wasco.... The Chevelle pumps gas in,hits the starter switch. Apparently,100 degres heat,22 degrees inital timing & a real 11 to 1 compression,doesnt agree with factory Chevy aluminum starter nose cones. Damn thing ,exploded. The car ,was in the driveway two hours He finally pried the remains,out of the flywheel. We push started it,got home about 2 a.m. I wouldn't trade that experience,for anything....

Not a car, but in a boat off the Cal coast.
Friend and I go scuba diving out at the channel islands (23 miles out) and have a great day diving.
Had 4 lobsters and various other seafood catches, and a 12 pack of MGD's on ice.
We start to head back to the mainland and the weather picks up, and up to the point we were trying to fight 35 foot swells and 50 mph winds at a cross angle to keep heading towards Santa Barbara.
While trying to keep the boat going the direction of the port I was also having to turn the boat into some of the bigger waves for safety reasons.
I told my buddy to put his boyancy vest back on, and put his fins on his arm to keep them handy just in case, or he could end up a Mexican resident if the boat went over.
The waves were getting bigger and bigger by the minute and it got to the point that I was having to turn the boat into EVERY wave, and back towards shore in the wave troughs so we were not making very good progress.
At one point I looked back to check the engine and steering systems just for a quick visual and saw the fuel tank floating in about a foot of water in the stern of the hull.
That tank of fuel was fresh connected for the trip back in and it was getting low already, when it should have been almost full.
With a quick inspection(while fighting waves) I find that fuel is running down the side of the motor from inside the motor cover (The fuel system was leaking badly from somewhere) but I couldn't stop the motor to check it without getting swamped by the now 40 foot blowing waves.
I decided it was time to give up the idea of going to the mainland and head back to the islands for cover.
We put the boat in on the south east side of Santa Cruz island in Smugglers Cove down stream of the weather and huge waves, removed all of our diving gear, the motor, and anything else we couldn't loose and put it all up on the shoreline above the tide marks so it would be safe.
We had just enough fuel left in the last tank to start a camp fire with the damp wood and have MGD's and BBQ lobster for dinner, and to try to get some rest as it got dark.
The next morning as it became light it was apparent that the boat was not doing to well, as it was full of water from the waves and was beat to hell on one side from the rocks it was being bashed against during the night.

We drained the water and dragged it out to the water (tide was out) and carried all of the gear and the motor out through the surf to the boat, but had no fuel, so we used our spears in the oarlock mounts with some our clothes tied between them as a sail of sorts.
We were about a third of the way back to the mainland steering with an oar when the Coastguard came upon us.
They asked if we had seen anyone else since last night and I told them we had not seen anyone but them since yesterday when we were diving.
They told us that 3 fishing boats had gone down with all hands during the night , and that no survivors had been found as of yet. (never did find them)

One of the guy's asked if I was the owner of the Lincoln mark 4 in the port parking lot, and when I said yes he said "your wife thinks you are probably dead by now" at which I replied "Kinda surprised I'm not myself" :)

They contacted a small boat out of Los Angeles to come out and get us the rest of the way in, as it was getting late in the day again.

Once we got the boat in and back on the trailer we made a few phone calls to inform certain people that they were still going to have to put up with us being around, and then went for some hot mexican food and cold beers.
(some of the best mexican food and beer we ever had.

We were in a 15 foot welded aluminum Bayrunner boat and the Coast Guard couldn't believe we were ok.
They said the waves were 45 feet, and 60+ mile winds.

My buddy told them if it would have been anyone but me driving the boat, we probably would'nt be there.

Wouldn't want to have to do it again, but one of the best, and worst experiences in my life.

Back in 95 or 96 I drove my 73 Dart Sport 340 4sp from Idaho to Minnesota to do a Muscle Car shoot out.

I was running pure stock class so I replaced my Holley with an AFB that I grabbed off the shelf and blew the dust off of befor mounting. Anyways , I was running 4.11s with an 883 O.D . ... So I could cruise through MT at 95 and still run a decent RPM. My car was a total sleeper with a Hughes cam , 69 340 exhaust manifolds , LD340 with Chrysler PN and painted to match motor , bettery in trunk but an empty die hard case in front with dummie bettery cables mounted to the plistic posts , exhaust cutouts , fresh air stocks scoop routed to carb.

I ran 13.0s even with an untuned carb ! I assumed the tech guys would realize my car wouldn't have a holley.... I dont think they would have in retrospect..all chevy guys...

Amazing stories gues it's time for mine then

Spring break this year interesting and fun at the same time me and a few of my buddies were going to North Carolina too pick up a miniature 41 willy go kart to and we decided to take the v10 ram I had we'll the only problem with the truck was that the driver door latch was broken sort of and halfway there the latch broke the rest of the way letting the door flop open at will and not being able to close at all and stay close. So we decided to go jeep with the truck it needs doors anyways so just take them off and go...... Best feeling in the world 75 mph 70+ degrees the first time we have felt 70's all winter the radio blasting and listening to the big 8.0 liter motor sing going through the twisty back roads of Virginia and no doors at all!! Best road trip I've ever been on

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

-
Back