Road trip! Wyoming or Bust!

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no...both my to and from trips through ND were racked with problems which I'll be writing about later. Not in a good frame of mind at tht point unfortunately. ;)

Great write-ups so far. I've been debating on taking our Dart from Southern California to my brother's wedding in South Dakota in November, but am hesitant as we are having the same issue with our slant 6 that you seemed to have. What was the solution?

Oh yeah, I could have told you don't stay in ND past Bismark. My buddy who works the oil fields had a 2 week wait for just an oil change. The hotels even as far as Fargo are overpriced and in bad shape, thank God you didn't stay in Henderson. Great place to find work, terrible place to do anything else. When we were coming home from NC we stopped in Fargo and got up early and got ND behind us before noon.

Great write-ups so far. I've been debating on taking our Dart from Southern California to my brother's wedding in South Dakota in November, but am hesitant as we are having the same issue with our slant 6 that you seemed to have. What was the solution?

For me, the solution was getting the valve lash adjusted. There was no clearance on #1 and #3 cylinders, so they were both way down on compression (hence the miss). The rest were all way too tight. Day 6 or Day 7 will get more into this, but it took a maybe 2 hpurs at a very good little shop and I was back on the road again driving fine.

If it were me, I wouldn't be deterred by the Cali-Sd trip. :)

Thanks or the tip. I was meaning to check the lash when I first did the tune up but it kept running so nicely that I didn't want to mess with anything. I will check it out this weekend.

Your blog reminds me of how much I want to do a Route 66 run in one of my classics. I have always lived really close to it, and it has been a bucket list item for years now, but I haven't found the time to take off and do it. I would want a chase vehicle with us so that in case of issue we weren't stranded in a desert somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and that has been the hardest thing to find. Not so much the car but someone willing to drive.

Dude, you missed the best part of Wibaux! Where you got gas, just one block east there is a turn south, hwy 12 I think. Follow this 4 blocks under the railroad tracks and this is the real town! Beaver Creek Brewery! Some of the best beer around!!! Shamrock has terrific prime rib Sunday evenings. Damn, had I known you were going to stop in wibaux for fuel I would have let you know!

http://www.beavercreekbrewery.com/

Oh geez! Dang, wish I would have known. I mean, i liked the little bit of Wibaux I saw, shame I didn't get ahold of you before I went through Montana. I want to go out to Montana again in a few years, I'll definitely be in touch about what to see/do. :)

Thanks I'm glad you liked. :) It was fun to recall all this stuff. :)

Lol I got a chuckle out of the write up regarding the dirty tundra that was barely dusty on the outside though lol all I could think was "this guy needs to tag along with some of us country boys when we our trucks dirty!" Lol
Our definition of dirty is driving to the nearest gas station with our heads hanging out the windows because they're all covered in mud!

Good for you ! Even with issues a road trip in a muscle car is something we should all do..

I drove my 340 4sp Dart sport from ID to MN in the mid 90s...raced a Champion Muscle Car series at BIR (12.90s) and drove back home... Found out I wiped out a cam lobe when I got home. Thought I was fouling plugs the whole trip home...thus the low ETs. And that was with an AFB I grabbed off the shelf and blew the dust off of....was afraid the tach guys might realize the holley was not stock...DUHH...bunch of chevy guys on the tech line....lol
They would havent of thought twice if I had a straight 8 under the hood !!!
Went back last year and a guy with a Demon remembered my car !

What an Adventure ! Only got pulled over once in SD and he just wanted to look at my car!

90-100 mph+ going through MT in those days (was running an OD).

-
Back