Roaring noise in front end tie rods? wheel bearings?

-

scott2683

Reaction score
My front passenger side has been roaring while driving down the road. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I am going, the noise is still there, and progressively gets worse with speed. I jacked the front end of the car up and there is play in the tie rod end, and the boot was ripped badly, however I'm not sure that it could cause the noise I am hearing. The car doesn't pull, or appear to have any other odd noises up front besides a random popping when I turn right, but all of my ball joints are new.

Any advice would be appreciated. Should I go ahead and swap out the wheel bearings? Should there be any play in the tie rod ends? There does seem to be some play in the steering wheel.

Thanks for the help!

at the very least i would pull the front hubs and inspect the wheel bearings, they may just need some grease

Swap your front tires side to side and see if the noise moves. If the noise stays put then inspect the front wheel bearings all 4 of them.

Bad tie rod can make squeaks and clunks, but not a roar.

Thanks for the help, I'll check it out this weekend. I didn't think a tie rod end could cause a roar, but I wasn't 100% sure! The car has set for a while, so it may just need greased

When you jack it up to change the left and right, spin the wheel and listen.
Likely you won't be swapping wheels, just replacing wheel bearings.
If it's roaring it's not far from doing damage to the spindles and/or hubs.

worn tie rod would amount to play in the steering but not a roar....jack up and spin wheel and listen for grinding noise....shouldn't hear any....If you do, wheel bearings....also grab tire at top and bottom and push in top and pull bottom alternately....there should be no play....if there is wheel bearings are shot or they are not adjusted properly....may need to tighten up on the castellated nut.....also while the tire is up, take a pry bar and put it under the tire and pick up against the tire....any up and down movement without moving the suspension is a worn ball joint....I know you just said you put new ones in but wouldn't hurt to check anyway while up in the air...

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get her jacked up this weekend and see whats going on with it. Hopefully its nothing too crazy, I should be able to replace a wheel bearing without too much hassle, Unfortunately just because ball joints are new, doesn't mean they're good, so I'll definitely give them a go over as well.

-
Back