Roastin in so Texas

-
Like someone said earlier pick up a used window unit at a garage or they are cheap new at WalMart.
Very economical to run especially if you insulated your garage.

News alert on a Texas radio station - “Hell just called and said they wanted their weather back!”

Hard to believe that until my friends and I hit our 40’s, we could work all day outside in this weather…

BTW, I don’t miss combining oats or hauling hay.

Put northeast Arkansas on the list, no rain here fore 22 days, two weeks 102, some days got down to 94, today 96, and back to the 100s thi coming week, farmers are hurting, lawn care companies have not mowed much at all..
I got luck and bought a used 4 year old package unit, 3 and a half tones, 500 dollars, hand mixed me a pad with a small concrete mixer, hooked that bad boy up and it 78 in here with out installation on the roof (metal) sprinkler is running this time of day on the roof 30x40, and so cool its a heat pump :thumbsup: love it on those cool mornings

16579093136133482099902126876270.jpg

My garage is about 24x24 and have a ceiling and it's mostly insulated. I bought a small window AC unit that works fantastic. 72° when it's 95° outside. It helps to start running It in the morning before it gets too hot .
For those that have a bigger shop I would frame up a smaller area and cover it with plastic with an AC unit inside so you can be working on smaller projects while it's beastly hot outside. In my garage it's in a window up above my car in this picture.
20200613_165350.jpg

It's not very big!

My "home" back when I was in the Missouri sticks was a what Tx. calls a barnamendium, red neck for countrytype condo mendium.... sorta, I called it a "pole barn house". I only used 1000sq ft. of it. I had a window ac. unit and never turned it on till noon if it was HOT. Cooled it great and there it costs squat. Costs may be higher In Ca. and etc.!!!
But I insulated it well! Walls, ceiling, subfloor. Such would cool great a 30 x 40 garage if insulated.

I understand your woes regarding heat. Have not touched my car for quite a while. But that does not stop me from putting engine inside the house. Having married right, I have my engine inside my office. My office and garage are the only places I can call hands off. Lived in Dallas area for 27 years. Still don't have a place with an out building. Something about living close to the kids. This is my only concession.

^^^ I sold MW engine years ago to a dentist. He ad me deliver it to his office. His receponist didn't see anything unusal as I hand trucked it thru his waiting room !!!!

For me its the Sun light and humidity. Ive worked outside no shade, welding HD equipment or putting floors in dump trailers in upper 90 degree days. We have to put plywood down to kneel on. I have a method I use of a clean 5 gallon bucket filled with water that I soak a towel in and wrap around my neck plus I drink a lot of water and diluted Gator aid.
Ive welded in dry heat of upwards of 180 degrees, but that was indoors and no sun light. Usually we try and do those jobs on the upper elevations of the power house when load is down and at night
However its common for temperatures in the power house to be well over a 100
All that was fine until last summer. It was mid nineties and humid. I was welding a specail type locking system on a container my boss was going to store equipment in on job sites
It was my first one doing and a PIA. It was outside in a gravel yard, no shade.
Between draging out cables, torch and other stuff plus the setting this thing up, im by myself it took me the better part of the day
My noon I was having trouble and I could work maybe 15 minutes and had to sit down, I was exhausted
I pushed myself to finish and that was my mistake
Now I was done and had to clean up and I became to weak to do that. I couldnt get off my ***.
My next mistake was calling my son to help me, who promptly called my wife. After sitting for awhile I had enough strength to get up and clean up....
My kid came and wouldn't let me drive so he drove me home
I didn't sleep hardly as I was up all night with leg and arm cramps
I was bummed out that I turned into a pussy.....People telling me I was 69 at the time didnt help
I was old and I had to face it that I had limitations
Dont mess around with the heat, especially you older guys down south
Be carful

For me its the Sun light and humidity. Ive worked outside no shade, welding HD equipment or putting floors in dump trailers in upper 90 degree days. We have to put plywood down to kneel on. I have a method I use of a clean 5 gallon bucket filled with water that I soak a towel in and wrap around my neck plus I drink a lot of water and diluted Gator aid.
Ive welded in dry heat of upwards of 180 degrees, but that was indoors and no sun light. Usually we try and do those jobs on the upper elevations of the power house when load is down and at night
However its common for temperatures in the power house to be well over a 100
All that was fine until last summer. It was mid nineties and humid. I was welding a specail type locking system on a container my boss was going to store equipment in on job sites
It was my first one doing and a PIA. It was outside in a gravel yard, no shade.
Between draging out cables, torch and other stuff plus the setting this thing up, im by myself it took me the better part of the day
My noon I was having trouble and I could work maybe 15 minutes and had to sit down, I was exhausted
I pushed myself to finish and that was my mistake
Now I was done and had to clean up and I became to weak to do that. I couldnt get off my ***.
My next mistake was calling my son to help me, who promptly called my wife. After sitting for awhile I had enough strength to get up and clean up....
My kid came and wouldn't let me drive so he drove me home
I didn't sleep hardly as I was up all night with leg and arm cramps
I was bummed out that I turned into a pussy.....People telling me I was 69 at the time didnt help
I was old and I had to face it that I had limitations
Dont mess around with the heat, especially you older guys down south
Be carful
I worked outside for most of 40 years on the railroad and the heat was the worst. A wet bandana was the best thing for keeping you cool. A lot of drinking water was needed and supplied thankfully. Later on we started getting Gatorade. Heat is definitely nothing to mess with. I'll take 25 below instead of 105 above temps any day of the week to work in.

Dang it, that's funny!!! That story will never get old. :rofl:

A true story. I was back home in Ga. for a visit, and bought that MW a short block if I remember, in Albany. From there I was at a Mopar show up in N S.C. where this dentist and his buddy were showing a pair of 62 B bodies one or both were verts even. The dentist looked over my parts and had to have the MW.
His office I thing has seen such before. I had the idea his wife did not approve of his car adventures!!!!
Life is usually stranger than fiction.

A true story. I was back home in Ga. for a visit, and bought that MW a short block if I remember, in Albany. From there I was at a Mopar show up in N S.C. where this dentist and his buddy were showing a pair of 62 B bodies one or both were verts even. The dentist looked over my parts and had to have the MW.
His office I thing has seen such before. I had the idea his wife did not approve of his car adventures!!!!
Life is usually stranger than fiction.
That's even funnier. So, he was hiding stuff at his dental office. That's great! Love it!

-
Back