RobbMc Power Surge

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Anyone install one of these systems yet? Seems like a decent idea and saves the hassle of replacing working parts just to get the volume you need.

Check it out here.

Here's a video of it too. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmH01_fWeM&feature=youtu.be"]PowerSurge Video - YouTube[/ame]

I definitely need more volume but when I look at all the fuel delivery options it makes my head hurt. Most of your blingy fuel pumps are ridiculously expensive and so are the fancy gas tanks with the baffles and in-tank pumps. Plus, mounting an external electric fuel pump is a real PITA on an a body.

Was hoping someone out there has some real world experience with this Power Surge setup and can report on how well it worked out.

Thanks!

- Greg

if you want to go this route than sure but its not for me .what i see is a gas tank in your rad support with to much rubber hose i think this would be dangerous in a collision . i would hate to be the weiner at the roast lol. jmo maybe im wrong .

if you want to go this route than sure but its not for me .what i see is a gas tank in your rad support with to much rubber hose i think this would be dangerous in a collision . i would hate to be the weiner at the roast lol. jmo maybe im wrong .

Ii can understand your reasoning but I don't see much difference in a situation where you had an electric fuel pump mounted near the gas tank, like under the bumper or something. What if you get rear-ended with that set up? At least this one is inside. I think whenever you retro fit an electric fuel pump to an older car there is an inherent risk involved no matter where it's mounted.

Besides, it runs off a relay so if the alternator is somehow taken out, the pump stops. My cutoff switch is wired correctly to shut everything off with the switch. I believe that the risk would be minimal if you take the necessary precautions.

Also, I don't use rubber hose and worm clamps at all really, there is no rubber hose on my car for anything except the radiator catch can. I am an AN fitting slut so I'd be using quality tubing and hose, like push-lok or woven stuff.

I probably wouldn't mount it on the rad support either. There is plenty of room to mount it on the passenger side inner fender. They say it needs to be within 15 degrees of vertical to work properly so I'd have to make a bracket to keep it vertical but that's no big deal.

Not sure if there is enough room in the back corner of the engine bay where the firewall meets the inner fender but that's another place it could go. I have no blower motor or anything there, just more empty space. Might be a pain to change plugs with it there though but the fuel lines wouldn't have to snake around the belts to the carb, they would route from the firewall forward.

I've seen many people put their fuel regulator on the inner fender and run the carb feed lines right over the valve cover. That seems to be an acceptable method, this would probably be similar, just one more line to add.

I am planning to put one of these in my sons duster, I am going to mount it right in place of the charcoal canister

Well, cool. Did you get it yet or just planning?
still building the motor so I do not have it yet, I am sure it will work fine, looks like a really nice setup, but if anyone that has used it can tell me otherwise I would be interested to hear about any issues.

I was thinking about the extra tubing and it could definitely end up being an issue with this setup. Depending on where you mount it, you will have a bunch of hoses coming off of it which have to be routed properly. Not insurmountable but it may take a little creativity to keep things neat and away from potential damage.

It was hard enough to do custom lines with a mechanical fuel pump while trying to keep them away from heat and moving parts. It might be a real PITA to figure out how to run the extra lines.

-
Back