rocker arms tapping

-

ecoronado3

Reaction score
My brand new engine started and ran fine for about thirty minutes then the rocker arms started tapping soft at first, then hard, now intermitinly. How do I make it stop?

Slant 6 like the pic?? If so and it's from the 60's-70's try adjusting the valves..I think they are solids and might need to be re-adjusted.

IT is easy, start the engine and get it warmed up. shut it off and remove the rocker cover. Start it up again, slow your idle speed if you can. All you need to adjust them is a 3/8 box wrench and feeler gages 0.02" for exhaust and 0.01" for intake. with the engine running slide the feeler gage inbetween the rocker and the valve stem, there should be some resistance but it should go in. If it slides right in (which is usually what causes the engine to tap) you want to turn the adjuster clockwise. if the feeler gage won't go in turn the adjuster counter clock wise untill the feeler goes in snugly.
I just adjusted the rockers on the 66 Dart Vert I bought last weekend, it was so loud the seller thought tha engine needed a rebuild. Every valve was loose, I snugged them all up and now it purrs.
People will tell you to do it hot not running but believe me running is best, and there really is little mess if your idle is low, if you rev it up you will fling oil everywhere. Make sure at this time you are geting oil to all the valves, you can tell if the feeler gages get oily as you adjust them.
Goold luck

Thanks robbie, it looks aven better now with the new engine and painted engine bay.

This will be an easy adjustment for ya!!
I sure would like to see a picture .Or am I missing something somewhere.
Hope all go's well and looking forward to an update.:cheers:

intake and exhaust valves have different clearances so be careful when adjusting them, running is easiest and to avoid spilled oil make a shield out of cardboard so oil doesnt leak over lower head and yes, keep rpm low, just remember that the intakes and exhaust require 2 different clearances when adjusting them . 120 degree timing tape around balancer makes it much easier without engine running. same accuracy, same results as running. too much to type buy a book, take care

70 valient is right on the money but if you have hipo cam these numbers may change .yall have a nice weekend

I like to do it running with the engine at a stable temp. I think running is MUCH easier, No making sure the cam is on the back side of the lobe, nothing to confuse you. Just turn your idle down as low as it will stay running. 300~400 rpm for my old 170. The easy way to know you got it "right" when doing it running is when you put the feeler gauge in, that cylinder will have a slight miss and it goes away when you pull the feeler gauge out. I have never made a mess doing it running, even at 700 rpm.

TopHat

if you get an old valve cover and cut the top off with a sawzall, bolt it on and the adjust the valves with the engine running it will keep almost all the oil in the engine.

thats the ticket sweaty, just check cam specs and clearances if you upgraded the cam

I have never had a problem making a mess adjusting slant valves with the valve cover off. On a chivvy yes, but never on a slant.

TopHat

Thanks every one, the prob was a rocker arm hitting the louver in the valve cover itself, quick fix big relief.

-
Back