rocker chaft bolt torque?

-

n00blike

Reaction score
Ok so the book i have says 30ftlb, but i just broke a bolt. this is a recently machined head with the bolts that were on there before. Is 30ftlb the right torque?

hmmm im also having a hard time finding where to buy some replacement ones...

What about for the rest of the top end? (intake, heads, and covers)

I know on a B block the bolts are different lengths depending on which hole they go in through the shaft. I wouldnt think a bolt that size would ever snap at just 30 lbs unless it bottomed out or cracked. This link should help you with some more torque specs.

http://www.mymopar.com/torquespecs.htm

got the broken part out with my little craftsman kit thing, man that just paid for it self. But im still having trouble looking for those bolts :(

thanks a lot for that link! I lost count of how many times i have asked for torque specs.

The torque for a small block is 16 ft lbs according to Haynes manual. The
small block bolts are 5/16 in diameter. I believe big block bolts are 3/8 dia.

If it is a small block torque spec is 16 ft lbs according to Haynes manual.
Big block is 30 ft lbs. Replacement bolts i would imagine could be purchased
at hardware store.Small block diameter of bolt is 5/16 big block 3/8.If you
still need torque specs for intake, heads. and valve covers let me know.I
will get back to you.Let me know if it is a small block or big block.

it is on a sb 360.

Well i just got back from the depot and they only the 5/16 bolts in 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 and the original bolt is 2 inch hope there is still some to grab on to. And yeah that 16ftlb sounds right i remember it being easy when i took them a part.

ok so i went to OSH and they had grade 8 bolts in the right size! and i ended up tightening them down to 16ftlbs and added some locktight blue.

Thanks for all your help guys!:cheers:

17 ft/lbs is what is listed on the internet for small block rocker shaft bolts. That's what I torqued mine to. This discussion was brought up not long ago after a fellow broke one of his bolts off and everyone agreed that 17ft/lbs it the proper spec. 16 ft/lbs is ok to if you ask me.

hmm guess i missed it. LOL lesson learned, at least now i got grade 8 bolts.:-D

osh is one of the last good hardware stores around. my entire motor is grade 8 from osh exept head and main bolts. after years in the local junkyards pulling parts I can't tell you how many cheap bolts I have had snap apart.

-
Back