Rocker panel molding removal, how??

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
How do you do it and are there replacement clips? Gonna get ready for paint. 1966 Dart.

thanks

Depends on the year............Most models had a spring clip with a top and bottom spring wire.....a tool is inserted in the bottom under the molding, and slid along to release the wire from hugging the edge of the molding.....I used to make tools by bending a little hook on the tip of a slender screwdriver......very short hook, at 90 degrees or a hair more. Usually the spring wire would pop out from under the molding...sometimes had to be coaxed. I'm pretty sure that there was a special factory tool for these.

Once the bottom wires are released and hanging out of the bottom of the molding, you just carefully lift the molding until the top is off it's spring wires.

Later models used some nylon plastic snaps that were the full width of the moldings......you have to gently pry the bottom edges off the clip.

I've also seen them mixed and matched and cobbed........be careful.

Thanks, I'll be careful. Found a thread about the plastic clips that snap in a hole and if that is what it has, the rocker molding won't be coming off for paint. What will also be a booger are the GT scripts on the sail panels and the trim on top.............have to pull the headliner. I'll be doing some more searching on trim removal and thanks for the response.

-
Back