Rockers Are In: Lifter Click

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I just got the MP steel rockers put on, with the Mancini shafts and pushrods. It all tightened up well and was torqued to 16-18 ft-lbs. Started up immediately and ran awesome, no problems there. BTW, its the 318 with Comp 260H cam and lifters in my Duster.

The problem seems to be that the same click is still there, no louder than it was before, but now it occurs even when the motor is not fully warmed up as well. It seems that it may be a -not-so-perfect- lifter or two that is making the noise. It doesn't affect its running ability at all. The cam and lifters have 3,000 miles on them and the click has been present for most of them, never has gotten any worse though. I guess the new rocker assembly must have essentuated the lifter click I guess, since its all new.

I have heard that Comp lifters (hydralic)weren't the quietest in the world anyways. Its more of a tick-tick-tick-tick-tick noise. Is this limiting my performance at all, or is it just going to be an annoyance if I cannot stand it? I can take the noise, its not to bad until I ever get around to changing the lifter, or is it something that needs immediate attention?

Oil pressure is great for a 90,000 mile engine: 16-20 psi at hot idle, 50-55 psi at a hot 2,100 RPM cruise with Valvoline VR1 20W50.

Thanks.

Are you sure you got the shafts in correctly?

Where are the offset oiling holes facing?

I think you should change your lifters if you want to stop that noise.I had some bad lifters doing that CLICK ,lifters changed and noise is gone!I know it's just a noise but i'm sure that's not the sound you want hear from it.

The Dart -Nº1,2.jpg

The rocker shafts are in right, fully bolted to the head, oiling notch is facing the rear of the motor on the right side, and facing the front of the motor on the left side, just as it should. All oiling holes are facing down and the bolts are properly torqued. I've always had the tick, which im now sure is a lifter. Its not too bad or annoying. I just thought that it may have been the rockers, so I put new ones on thinking that maybe I had a worn one. I guess not. LOL. Oh well, I guess it has a completely fresh valve train now and runs great, just had a lifter that clicks on the right side, probabaly #4 or #6 cylinder.

As long as its not going to do more than continue that click, I will just change it out when ever I have another big project that requires the manifold off the motor. No damage will result, eh?

if you want to try something before you change lifters, next oil change try a thicker oil, sometimes the lifters will leak down, i've had the same prob with lifters before. i switched to 40w vri valvoline and it made a difference, it was a little quieter, so it helped, just a suggestion, the crane anti-pump lifters are good to. :thumbup:

The sound doesn't bother me too much, so as long as its not damaging the cam, I will live with it for a while. I run Valvoline VR1 20w50 and it does tone down as it warms up, doesnt dissapear, but quiets ever so slightly as it warms.

I can't say I am impressed with the lifters Comp puts in their cam kits. I had a couple of bad ones out of the box when I installed one of their cams in my Jeep truck (350 Buick).

Changing lifters is a bad idea… Unless changing the cam at the same time.

CompCams, FBO, and a Chrysler engine book agrees.

Instead, disassemble and thoroughly clean all the lifter components.

Also, are the oiling holes facing down and offset toward the intake?

You might check your oil level .If you have too much oil in your crankcase the crank will dip in it and create air bubbles in the oil which can make noisy lifters. You may have a lifter that`s not pumping up entirely, try a can of Rislone with your next oil change, it`s good at quieting noisy lifters. Cast aluminum valve covers will also help quiet things.

Longgone said:
You might check your oil level .If you have too much oil in your crankcase the crank will dip in it and create air bubbles in the oil which can make noisy lifters. You may have a lifter that`s not pumping up entirely, try a can of Rislone with your next oil change, it`s good at quieting noisy lifters. Cast aluminum valve covers will also help quiet things.

I have Mopar Performance Cast Valve Covers. I will try draining a tad bit of oil, as it is a bit over the full line and that 90,000+ mile 318 with new valve seals does not burn any oil. I was also starting to ponder whether or not it may just be that that particular lifter bore is a little worn out, as it was ticking from the same area to some extent before the cam swap.

If thats the case, then I will not worry about it, as the only thing it will do is make the same noise and won't impeade performance very much if any. Sound like a possibility?

-
Back