Rockers installed wrong

-

John'sDuster340

Reaction score
My duster is currently at a performance shop to diagnose an engine tick from the passenger side of the engine. They advised me that 3 rockers are installed on the wrong side of the engine....they are labled left or right.

My question is this, What negative effect will this cause and could this cause the engine to tick?

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

Wrong side - Hmmmm
Wrong orientation me thinks - as stock rockers have a left and right stamp on them for a reason. The end of the rocker that makes contact with the valve tip is offset left or right to align with the vale tip when assembled on the shaft. you need one of each to alighn with the intake and exhaust valve tips. It might cause the tick - it sure will wear the valve tip ends and excessive side load pressure on the valves on the ones that are incorrect.

:rambo:
John'sDuster340 said:
My duster is currently at a performance shop to diagnose an engine tick from the passenger side of the engine. They advised me that 3 rockers are installed on the wrong side of the engine....they are labled left or right.

My question is this, What negative effect will this cause and could this cause the engine to tick?

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

Stock style rockers? If so there is no left or right..just like there is no left or right cylinder head. They are stamped different for intake/exhaust however, that would be pretty obvious though oncethey are bolted on the head. :rambo:

The valve tips would be centred all wrong. If you look yourself its pretty clear how the rockers are 'handed' (left/right) as they should sit centrally over the valve tip. Ticking noise could also be from a lifter. I have one that ticks when cold but is fine once the engine warms up.

This pic may help

IMG_0216.JPG

Thanks for the quick response. My car also has intermittant exhaust smoke which is blue in color and smells more like gas then oil...could this be caused by the rockers being installed incorrectly? The shop is hesitant to pull the heads because they feel that this could perhaps fix my tick. They are unsure of the smoke issue...could be the heads or rings.

Perhaps they are referring to left or right orientation like you mentioned. Thanks for all the response and pic...I now have a better understanding.

Adverse effect?

My dad bought a 340 Swinger and had it about two days before it snapped a pushrod. ALL of the rockers were wrong.

All the "lefts" were on the left head and all the "rights" were on the right head.

If there is no left or right hand - I wonder what the LH/RH stamp on each rocker is for - Hmmmmm - not left hand head, right hand head thats for sure.

I also posted on Moparstyle and it was also explained that you must have LH and RH per cylinder.

I noticed on Timdarts photo that there`s no spacers on the rocker shafts. Is that a big block only thing or am I just blind?

Thanks ,my mind`s already gone ,don`t need my eyes to follow. I haven`t dealt with small blocks in 20 years or more ,so I`ve long forgotten how they`re outfitted .Half the time I don`t remember what I had for breakfast. LOL!

Since the rocker arms are in pairs (R/L), shouldn't there be 4 that are wrong?

Longgone said:
Thanks ,my mind`s already gone ,don`t need my eyes to follow. I haven`t dealt with small blocks in 20 years or more ,so I`ve long forgotten how they`re outfitted .Half the time I don`t remember what I had for breakfast. LOL!

Half the time!! Heck your doing great, most of the time i'll put my plate in the sink and not remember what was on it. :wack:

Well guys....the tick is gone and it was due to the rockers being installed incorrectly.

Here is what the notes read, cyl 8 had 2 left rockers, cyl 4 were reversed, cyl 2 had 2 right rockers and cyl 3 were reversed. It's a wonder the vehicle ran as well as it did.

Technician also noted that some of the pushrods were rubbing on the cylinder head....ouch. The #4 cylinder intake and exhaust valve are worn where rocker arms contact. I guess eventually this will have to be addressed.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions on this issue.

John

Hello John- I wouldn`t let that go too long as wear will develop exponentially now that there is already some apparent.

Good point. There is some visable wear on the valve tip where it meets the rocker. Not sure if the valve is opening or closing enough. I do have a lot of hydrocarbons which could be caused by this. This fall I plan to pull the heads and have them freshened up.

-
Back