Rockers, non adjustable

-

aa-1159

Reaction score
How much play should the rocker have on the shaft, not side to side, but shaft through rocker, should it have enough play that you can move it up and down, mine look really loose to me, 360, would this cause a ticking noise if they are too loose on shaft

look really loose to me, 360, would this cause a ticking noise if they are too loose on shaft
what kind of pushrods and lifters are you using? They should not be sloppy up and down under preload when using hydraulic lifters.

Last edited:
Its not impossible to have your lifters "drain" overnight or after sitting for an extended period of time although this isn't ideal. Turn on the car and let it run for a minute or two (Only want to circulate the oil a little not warm up the car) and then check again. If the rocker shafts are tight then there should be no noticeable play in the rockers

If you have the correct pushrods and after running it everything still feels loose then you might want to pull the valve covers and the coil wire and let the starter turn the motor while you observe the valve movement. If you notice that loose rocker arm not move at all or move very little then inspect the cam to make sure you didn't wipe a lobe

what kind of pushrods and lifters are you using? They should not be sloppy up and down under preload when using hydraulic lifters.
I'm talking about the rocker itself on the shaft without the pushrod, seems it has a lot of play, like you can shake it up and down,

I'm talking about the rocker itself on the shaft without the pushrod, seems it has a lot of play, like you can shake it up and down,
The stamp steel rockers will have some slop by it's self. Under preload there should be no up and down slop.

When lifters are preloaded, rocker has no up and down looseness. Bottom inside the rocker seats and rides on the shaft. When rocker is on the shaft, no pushrods in or lifter preload, they are loose.

The stock stamped rockers can flop around pretty good.

-
Back