Roll Bar / Door Handle Interference

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I mistakenly didn't take into account that the placement of the side roll bar would cross right over the door release handle. At first it appeared that I could extend the handle forward from the latch with some threaded rod ,but that idea didn't allow enough motion to unlatch the door. Which brings me.to the gurus on here for some ideas, other than cutting out the side bar and moving it. This is on a 71 Demon door.

:popcorn::popcorn:

My sidebars squish the padding on the armrest when the doors close. Someone before me had a similar issue to you when they did this one.

I saw a Duster at the track with a door release lever coming out of the top of the door frame. Nicely done I might add and I saw that he was able to push the lever forward to open the door. If anyone here has done a simular mod, I'd like some clues on how it's done.

20220822_200256.jpg

20220822_200325.jpg

Thanks for the clip of the rules Frank. I did follow them and laid out the side bar with me in the car. At that time, the doors were off the car, or I might have realized the issue and reposition the bar to conform to the rule and access to the door latch.

My 74 duster came with the door release at the top of the door frame from the factory. Look at one and see if its something you can copy

That looks like a swing-out bar. I think I would just re-bend or replace the swing out section.

I am considering that too. But the passenger side has the same issue and the bar on the side is not a swing out. I'm favoring the kit mentioned above.

Is there anyway to bolt a rod or something on the opposite side of the handle?
You might get enough pull like that.
Or maybe even try to heat the latch and bend it back towards the door and you could get some extra travel that way as well.

Is there anyway to bolt a rod or something on the opposite side of the handle?
You might get enough pull like that.
Or maybe even try to heat the latch and bend it back towards the door and you could get some extra travel that way as well.

There is a way to add that but the lever can't move enough to unlatch the door. It's about 1/4 inch from the roll bar and it needs about a inch of swing to unlatch the door

Just spitballen here, but if you move the latch fore or aft, and extend the rods (or shorten) do they come into play with the window mechanism?

Just spitballen here, but if you move the latch fore or aft, and extend the rods (or shorten) do they come into play with the window mechanism?

Thanks, that's certainly a other option. Mo I g the latch towards the window crank would get it out of harms way, then make a longer rod. Right now I'm favoring the latch h relocation kit you may see posted previously. It comes with all the parts for both doors.

Thanks, that's certainly a other option. Mo I g the latch towards the window crank would get it out of harms way, then make a longer rod. Right now I'm favoring the latch h relocation kit you may see posted previously. It comes with all the parts for both doors.
Copy that, I didnt open link. apologize for the extra work. Stayin tuned.

Hey guys just wanted to thank ya'll for the ideas to resolve the door release. After studying the $99 kit I dug through my cut offs and was able to fabricate my own. I did have to buy some hardware that ran just under $5.

20220827_143055.jpg
20220827_143041.jpg

Where did you find carbon fiber finish panels for your doors ?

-
Back