Roll Cage Install Question

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
Hi Guys!, I just got my new 10 Pt. cage from Chassis Engineering today for my 73' Duster. Still sorting out all the tubes <geez> I was wondering if any of you could provide a few pics for what you did to attach the 6"x6" plate to the floor areas? The plate is flat, the floor is not...lol What's accepted by NHRA? Should, I bend like 2 inches of the plates 90 degrees so I can catch the floor and inner rocker area for the main hoop? I got the 06' NHRA book n it just seems.. That.. so long as the plate is welded to the rocker it's ok? I'd like to tie as much as I can together.. Show me what ya did....

glad to see your on the way,
" the plates are a hammer to fit " as nessary....the main hoop i weld to the subframe connectors, sometines have to cut a fairly large section of floor out to weld it in . i use a thin cut off wheel ,save the piece and then fit it back around the hoop and weld it back in. the plates can be bolted also , usually the diagonal bars behind the seat are done that way ( from the hoop to the floor ) any place that you can go through the floor and weld to any piece of frame ,, do it.... when the tubesits over the rails it is pretty easy tocut the floor piece and put the plate in its place, weld it underneath to the rail and weld it to the floor pan also.
Lots of fitting and trimming . go slow , it can get you down ...just take a break ,have a cold one,and back at it.... it use to be ok to weld the plates directly to the floor pan, better check the rules tho.....i also have put in a piece of box tube where the front upright bars go to the floor ...weld it in place between the rocker and the frame, or frame connectors. then weld the upright to the box tubing, the tubing will act just like the torqe boxes,,,, give youself plenty of room to work when you cut out sections of floor to small of a piece taken out and you will end up making a second cut to make it bigger, then you dont have a good piece of floor to put back in.. and will end up making a piece for that. like said before ...take your time ,,, plan it out first , measure twice before you cut....every time !! good luck....
oh yea ,,,,you know how much we all love pictures......

Thanks, but still a bit confuzed... Weld the main hoop to the subframe connectors? Wouldn't that make it too narrow? I would think I'd need to weld a 2x3 piece between the rail and rocker here as well???? (Like you said for the front uprights) So, I can keep the main hoop close to the door jam. Again if anyone has a pic of the main hoop connection it surely would answer a lot of ramblin questions in my head..lol

You only have to use the plates if your not welding the bars to the frame.

So if you weld a piece of 2X3 to the from the frame connectors to the rocker panel you dont need the 6X6 and it will be much stiffer.

This should help. This is the main hoop tied in to the frame connector and an out rigger from the frame connector to the rocker panel.

eeb13130.jpg

Thank You Adam !!!! Exactly the picture I was looking for ! Closest I could find was this.. (for anybody else looking)

th_driverssubframe.jpg

Ok, I got the Main Hoop and outriggers tacked in place....Then I realized I'm not positive about where the straight rear support bars attach too? (on the frame side) I know I gotta keep the 6x6 plate over the rail.. But how far forward or back should it be? My cage also has an X bracein the rear, What attaching points do I use for it? It's hard to tell from any pics I been able to find... Help ! :drinkers:

-
Back