Roll cage question (if this is the place to put it) haha

-

BoredandStroked

Reaction score
I am wanting to put a 6 point roll cage in my Dart Swinger and was wondering what the best type of steel to use and the thickness and diameter. Also where are the BEST places to point the roll cage at?
Thank you everyone!

most of us use carbon steel, you can use chrome moly but its more expensive, and has to be tig welded... with the price of steel today you will be better off buying a kit. sw race cars is here on the east coast ( PA ) they have always treated me well and there parts are of good quality....

If you have access to a tubing bender and MIG welder, you can make it yourself using 0.134" wall DOM mild steel tubing. Get a NHRA rulebook and follow it religiously for where the cage has to go and how it has to be configured. By making it yourself you can make it fit perfect.

The S&W cage is a pretty good fit too. Usually they are bent a little wide and you have to use a come-along to pull the bottom legs of the main hoop together to get them in the right spot.

Wow... so many choices. I thought people only made things for Chevy and Ford and left us Mopar guys to fend for our ownselves. Well... when are you getting your kit 1973Swinger and Eric S68? It is going to be a little while before I get the money so please tell me how they fit when you install them.

Special thanks to RacerRick. I wanted to know the thickness and what kind really. I have access to that and a tubing bender as well thanks to my high school.

I Have A 69 Barracuda And I Used A Comp Eng. Out Of Summit. For My Car But I Used A 10 Point Cage And Had A Frend Tig Weld It In For Me.
If I Can Figure Out How To Up Load Pic I Will Show All To Yall.(im Frome Texas.)

I'll be getting/ordering my 10 pt cage in a few weeks... Just waiting till i get far enough in the build. The mild steel cage is $280, Shipping $115 fed ex ground.. The reason I liked www.autoweldchassis.com is two fold. They have multiple side bar options.. I'll be getting a hinged/pinned version for ease of entry. ($80 Option) Also, they offer a pre notching option which will save LOTS of time fitting it (A well spent $20 option, I think.) So it' will be $495 , I think well spent ..

you may want to check the rule book and your local track rules before putting in the hinged/pinned door bars. not every track will allow them. by the way, most kits come notched for no charge....5oo $ sounds like an awful lot...

Eric s 68 ..I see you are in fla....chassis engineering also has what you need and are located in riviera beach fla. they also make decent parts and may save you some $$$ on frieght, or may be close enough for you to drive to.....
10 pt 1 3/4 mild steel... 275.00 swing out door kit ....44.50 just a thought ,it may save you some $$$$$$

-
Back