Roll Cage Welding

-

mopowers

Reaction score
When you guys are welding in a roll cage (e.g., the main hoop), to avoid weld blow out, do you drill a 1/8" hole in the floor plate, or the actual tube? Is there any other way to prevent blow out in the weld?

Read the code book. Most state a hole must be accessible for them to check thickness of each bar in the cage during tech with in date seat belts…

I would put the hole at the

39.JPG

Read the code book. Most state a hole must be accessible for them to check thickness of each bar in the cage during tech with in date seat belts…

That's not in the NHRA rulebook general provisions. Besides, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm curious how folks choose to vent their tubes to prevent gas pressure blow out when closing in a tube.

Want to use a good MIG wire feed welder with the proper shielding gas (not a buzz box stick welder) for the type of steel you are welding.

Clean off any rust on the car frame you are welding to, or that will spatter and cause holes in your welds.

Best to tack parts to hold in place then jump around welding 3/4" at a time to not over heat your pipes and cause a pull that throws things out of square.

Technique, prep your weld areas, and skill of operator. Never had any problems with blow outs welding these Buggy frames together.

Different car owners doing the welding with the right equipment and setups, no blow outs. Some of the guys are dang good first class welders too, they are having fun.

Screenshot_20220504-193630_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-193457_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-194253_Firefox.jpg

20220504_193859.jpg

sometimes I would drill small holes under where the tubes were being welded to the main hoop, kinda make a continuous vent so no gas pressure could get caught in a tube. And yes , below the main hoop thru the plate,floor ect... I tried to hide all my vent holes, you have to plan ahead.

sometimes I would drill small holes under where the tubes were being welded to the main hoop, kinda make a continuous vent so no gas pressure could get caught in a tube. And yes , below the main hoop thru the plate,floor ect... I tried to hide all my vent holes, you have to plan ahead.
Slick Brother! That's pretty darn whoop ***!

Tim McAmis has lots of tutorial videos on youtube. One is all about welding and covers vent holes.

That's not in the NHRA rulebook general provisions. Besides, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm curious how folks choose to vent their tubes to prevent gas pressure blow out when closing in a tube.
I would say your idea of the hole in the plate would be my way too

-
Back