Roll Cages Requirements for Convertibles?

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Hey gang,

So I combed through an electronic version of the 2022 NHRA rule book and I see that convertibles running faster than 13.49 in the 1/4 (8.25 in 1/8) are required to have a roll cage. It then goes to explain that the roll cage must meet Summit Street specs. Does anyone know where I can find the Summit Street spec sheet? I read in an older version that bolt-in roll cages were acceptable in unibody cars. Does anyone if this is still acceptable?

I don't believe bolt in roll bars are NHRA or IHRA sanctioned any longer. All of my race cars had welded in bars, but none were convertibles. I'm sure someone will chime in with the specs you need.

Used to be that NHRA required the top to be up but IRHA would allow top down racing . Not sure whatgood that canvas top will do you in a 100 mph rollover ?

I was told at my track that verts running quicker than 13.49 are required to have a six point roll BAR. If the vert is quicker than 11.49, it then requires a full 12 point cage. I was told this around 2010 or so. Results may vary.....

Other racing series like SCCA require the same cage specs for converts as for tin tops. Only diff is that arm restraints are required for the converts.

Think you want to look at the cage specs for altered’s in your time/speed bracket you’ll run as these has open tops…

-
Back