roller cam or flat tappet?

-
I've made lube saver style lifters, grinding a flat on the side

How wide/deep did you make the groove? Shouldn't need to be much. I've got a new set of SFT lifters with no band that I want to do that too. My thought was to setup in the v-block and grind a flat a couple thou deep, should be .010-.015 wide but I haven't looked at the math. Should provide a nice controlled leak of oil to the face of the lifter.

If you choose a roller cam you just want to get a roller lifter that does not have full exposure of the wheel for that is the problem at full lift the wheel goes up into the path of the oil feed... and you have a momentary pressure loss...x16... and thts the problem. There are others with big base circle cam that have use dumb bell style rollers... and the camphor at the top of the lifter bores can sometimes be machine too deep from the factory...and so the dumb bell cutaway of the lifter raises up just past the lip of the camphor...and bam, you're pissing oil pressure into the valley.

Use a roller lifter that shrouds the wheel and has only a oil band and feed hole and not a dumbbell body...and you will be fine .
If you go billet core...use a crane coated steel gear for the intermediate shaft.

griz
get a 229 v6 chevy lifter and copy that
or just do it and leave an eighth at the bottom so the leak stops when the lifter rises
it's easy to do if you have a mag base surface grinder and a v block

Just make sure you use a good zinc additive with your oil or a oil with a high zinc content, I have been running hydraulic flat tappets with over 300 lb on the nose springs for decades on the street. With shifts approaching 7000 RPMs just make sure you have good oil pressure and the right oil.

Also if you go flat tappet, with the valve train installed and lashed, mark the lifters. Turn the motor over by hand and see if the lifters rotate. If they rotate by turning the motor by hand they will probably be fine.

great advice
I do not like additives (any more -used to use the GM)
get them in the oil from a blender
many additives are not compatible with SN oil and actually reduce EP

-
Back