roller rockers and solid roller lifters

-

dartsport76

can't get right
Reaction score
Hi guy's, just a few quick questions

1. Does anyone know how good the quality of the "off brand" rockers are that I see for sale on ebay? I don't want to waste my money on junk. But at the sme time I don't have a ton of money to buy the expensive name brands like from Comp Cams I want the 1.6 rockers for a 440 BB.

2. Does anyone know where I can get a set of solid roller lifters for a decent price? I want to get Comp cams solid roller cam 23-701-9 with 570 lift and need a set of lifters to go with it.

3.Does anyone know how well the 1.6 rockers will work with this cam and lifters, the motor will see mostly street use with a trip to the drag stip every now and then?

Thanks for your help and any suggestions are appreciated.

1. Does anyone know how good the quality of the "off brand" rockers are that I see for sale on ebay? I don't want to waste my money on junk. But at the sme time I don't have a ton of money to buy the expensive name brands like from Comp Cams I want the 1.6 rockers for a 440 BB.

2. Does anyone know where I can get a set of solid roller lifters for a decent price? I want to get Comp cams solid roller cam 23-701-9 with 570 lift and need a set of lifters to go with it.

3.Does anyone know how well the 1.6 rockers will work with this cam and lifters, the motor will see mostly street use with a trip to the drag stip every now and then?

Sorry I can't help you with 1 cuss I've never used "off brand" rockers, mind you they've only been available, as far as I know, for the last year or two. I'm kind of anal when comes to rockers and are thinking of switching over to Hughes.

Are you looking to buy a set of used CC roller rockers or new.

For answers to 3 you'll have to describe your build like CR, intake, exhaust, tranny, gears and have you bushed the lifter bores.

Terry

The build up will be a 440 stroked out to 512 tunnel ram with a pair of demon 750( yes this is a bit excessive, but its what i have and beside it looks really cool) fender wall headers, 3500 stall, gears are 4.10 and the exhaust is 3 inch I'm wanting about 600 HP, I dont know what "bushed the lifter bores means, I'm still learning about some of this"

As for new rockers or not I dont have a preference as long as they are in good shape and not take a dump a month after I install them.

iv always liked harlad sharps but i tried a set from ohio crank there half the price and made the same fully rollerized and other then the color there pretty dam close to being the same.they have been in motor for a year no truble i did up grade the ajusters.and its a street car.

The build up will be a 440 stroked out to 512 tunnel ram with a pair of demon 750( yes this is a bit excessive, but its what i have and beside it looks really cool) fender wall headers, 3500 stall, gears are 4.10 and the exhaust is 3 inch I'm wanting about 600 HP, I dont know what "bushed the lifter bores means, I'm still learning about some of this"

As for new rockers or not I dont have a preference as long as they are in good shape and not take a dump a month after I install them.

Well you're building a "Monster" aren't ya, good for you. My car before the Demon was B body with a dual 4 440 mind you not a tunnel ram.
Anyway what bushing the lifter bores is for 2 reasons. First, using bronze bushings, the lifter bore is machined out to accept the bushing and at the same time the bore center line is trued, something highly recommended before running roller lifters. The second reason is to partially close off the oil galley that feeds the lifters since you won't need all that oil that a hydraulic flat tappet would.

The reason I asked about new or used roller lifters is that I would never use second hand lifters without overhauling them first, replace the bearings and any other worn items. Therefore yer better off buying new.
With those gears, stall, exhaust and stroking you're definetely going in the right direction for your HP goal, I'm just a little warry the combo won't be very streetable.

We got a member on this site that goes by Moper, run your combo past him and see what he suggests.

Terry

Your cool looking engine won't run long if you skimp on the quality if your roller lifters and rockers.

High ramp rates and spring pressure associated with a solid roller cam have a tendency to be hard on even the best parts.

I guess what I am saying is.... Any money you save initially on budget parts will be lost with the more frequent replacement of those parts.

I bought a set of "off brand" roller rockers off eBay for my last engine build(not Mopar:pukerigh:) and they were garbage from day one. I never did run the engine on the street as the rockers wouldn't adjust properly.
I ended getting brand name roller rockers and they worked fine.
my .02

I bought the ohio crankshaft needle bearing/roller tip rockers and they rule!

I don't know about all the off brand rockers but you have to change the adjusters to harland sharps for the one tshat come on the off brand rockers are junk.fyi

Unless they are 12 points, there probably junk adjusters.

If you go with needle bearing on shaft rockers make sure you line the rocker bodies up with the springs so they don't hit, so shim them tight like .010-.015 side play.
You need induction hardened shaft too, call rocker specialties and talk to gary.
For rockers, adjusters and shafts was around $340 for everything when I bought mine.

They are only gonna work as good as they are set up.jmo

You guys are right you get what you pay for. Any one have an idea of the advantages of the 1.6 ratio over the 1.5 ratio, performance gains?

thanks
Brian

Running a properly set up roller valvetrain is NOT cheap,and done cheaply will probably not last long...

DO NOT BUY THE OFF BRAND ROCKERS.i have had nothing but problems with mine.i finally replaced them with a stock set of adjustable ones.

Bushing the lifter bore, is not a bad idea, But I have run several motors without that step. Just run a solid body lifter.Comp 829-16 lifters, are a good choice .I know of a few guys running Chet Herberts lifters (about $200 a set) they "seem" to work ok.The comps are about $425, there are rebuildable.
Crane Gold are least expensive choice ($390 mancini's)they can handle up to about 700 lift before they have issues.

JimF

Tanks for all the info guys, I've desides to run a XTREME ENERGY STREET SOLID ROLLER CAMSHAFT 23-702-9 it whas a .576 lift In .582 Ex the roller lifters will be 829-16 from comp as well the the rockers, they will be the pro magnum roller rocker kit with a 1.5 ratio.

Tanks for all the info guys, I've desides to run a XTREME ENERGY STREET SOLID ROLLER CAMSHAFT 23-702-9 it whas a .576 lift In .582 Ex the roller lifters will be 829-16 from comp as well the the rockers, they will be the pro magnum roller rocker kit with a 1.5 ratio.

Matched is good, right on.

If anyone here needs lifter bushings I have a brand new set that I will not be using. PM me for price etc.

Thats what I went with for my 422 build, Xtreme XR274R Cam, Roller lifters and pro mag 1.5 rockers. Should be done by Friday. Good luck with your build.

Thats what I went with for my 422 build, Xtreme XR274R Cam, Roller lifters and pro mag 1.5 rockers. Should be done by Friday. Good luck with your build.

that cam should give you one crazy midrange rush in a stroker smallblock!
im running the next bigger cam in a stock stroke 340 and it comes alive in the midrange and makes for a pretty good rush of power there!
a friend uses the same cam in his 383chevy and that motor is very mean while still very calm at idle and during normal driving,should be a blast in a 422!

back on topic, rollerlifters and rockers are not a good place to save money

-
Back