Roller Rockers w/cam

-

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
I recently rebuilt my magnum 360. I put in a comp 20-744-9 with .480 lift intake and exhaust. Stock heads and stock bottom end. Valve springs are upgraded with hughes 1110. I do have a little valvetrain noise. Machine shop said it's fine and that adjustable rockers could help vs the non-adjustable stock ones. Thoughts? I was thinking maybe go to 1.7 rollers. It would bring my cam lift to .510. That safe on a stock bottom end? Thoughts? Thanks. I do want the additional lift

I recently rebuilt my magnum 360. I put in a comp 20-744-9 with .480 lift intake and exhaust. Stock heads and stock bottom end. Valve springs are upgraded with hughes 1110. I do have a little valvetrain noise. Machine shop said it's fine and that adjustable rockers could help vs the non-adjustable stock ones. Thoughts? I was thinking maybe go to 1.7 rollers. It would bring my cam lift to .510. That safe on a stock bottom end? Thoughts? Thanks. I do want the additional lift
So the base circle is smaller than the stock cam, I assume. So now theres not enough preload.. right?
Stick a valve lash gauge between the valve and rocker...try .020... and stack them if need be till it quiets them one at a time.
Ex, say it gets quiet with about .030...just buy some .040 longer push rods.
Sure you CAN buy adjustable rockers arms...but you can still have too short a push rods and not enough adjuster to take up the slack/supply enough preload...then be back to square one.
Moral of the story...you still need the correct length push rods regardless if adjustable rockers are used or not.

So the base circle is smaller than the stock cam, I assume. So now theres not enough preload.. right?
Stick a valve lash gauge between the valve and rocker...try .020... and stack them if need be till it quiets them one at a time.
Ex, say it gets quiet with about .030...just buy some .040 longer push rods.
Sure you CAN buy adjustable rockers arms...but you can still have too short a push rods and not enough adjuster to take up the slack/supply enough preload...then be back to square one.
Moral of the story...you still need the correct length push rods regardless if adjustable rockers are used or not.
Do I measure that when the lifters are pumped up? Aka when the engine is warm?

-
Back