Roller rockers

roller rockers.What would you use and why?

• comp

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • crane

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • racer brown

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • harland sharp

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • mopar performance

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • other

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters
-

needsaresto

Reaction score
In response to another members thread I thought it might be helpfull to poll our membership on the subject of roller rockers.What brand would you buy?
Based on what?

1) Comp cams
2) Crane
3) Racer brown
4) Harland Sharp
5) Mopar Performance
6) Other

Give details!Whats the best bang for the buck? Whats the absolute best?Worst!

Thanks!

For all-out 750+ HP race applications, I use the Comp Stainless Steel rockers. For everything else, the Crane Gold Race rockers are my choice. They're probably overkill for race applications under 500 HP, but they're sure to survive in street-driven and street/strip use. But if oiling is restricted to the top end, any rocker is susceptable to failure.

I had nothing but problems w/the Crane Golds.. Never stayed adjusted, lock nuts backing off etc... I sold them cheap, he had the same problems.. I put Crane Ductile Iron on, no problems. I heard there was a problem with a run, guess I got them!!!!!!!!! Next set will be Comp Pro Magnums..

Bob

Too many people ignore the best rocker for probably 90% of us. The good old ductile iron rocker. The weight/inertia savings are marginal and the hp savings from the roller are too small to measure. Been a while since I heard anybody say anything about breaking an iron rocker. Can't say that about aluminum or stainless rockers. I really have trouble understanding the huge infatuation with roller rockers. A lot of very fast, very reliable, mopars have been run with the iron rockers and I think people should look at them first before going to rollers. My 2 cents.

don

Best bang for the buck are the Comp magnum rollers rockers,they come complete with the shafts too..i personally won't trust a factory rocker on my engine...

1200+ passes very hard and mabey 1000 street miles driven on my harland sharps and no problems. I have scared myself into replacing them even though none are broken.

Bushed ductile rockers on the basic/race W2s.
Indy blue rollers (which I believe they source from Crane) on the Indybrocks.
Crane gold rollers on the W5s.

this email came right from PRW!

Our stainless steel rockers are designed to handle hp well over 600. The rocker bodies are guaranteed for life against breakage. Our guarantee does not cover rockers when used for racing.

Best regards,
Schean Barrett

what about hughes engines rocker arm setups . anyone used them?

I ran Harland Sharp rockers on my W-2 bracket Challenger. I had 2 or 3 sets, but made hundreds of passes a year for at least 15 years! Never had a problem with them. Broke some other stuff and they got beat-up, but still worked fine. The only time I saw a broken Harland Sharp rocker was when someone machined the heck out of them for some radical roller cam spring clearance.

IHRA allows aftermarket roller rockers in Stock now for reliability so I'll be getting some Harland Sharps very soon.

http://www.harlandsharp.com/

this email came right from PRW!

Our stainless steel rockers are designed to handle hp well over 600. The rocker bodies are guaranteed for life against breakage. Our guarantee does not cover rockers when used for racing.

Best regards,
Schean Barrett

I wonder how accurate the ratio is on them though.

But you need to take out a second mortgage for them, LOL

Yeah, $1000 a set are a little out of my price range. I use Cranes and have never had a problem with them.

I used Proforms on my own vehicle once (long story, I was broke) and the adjusters wiped themselves out in 200 miles. I replaced them with Crane ajuster screws and all was good. When I tore the engine down, I found that the tip rollers had flat spotted and and did not roll freely. I think that the factory/Crane cast iron adjustables are a better choice than the cheap rollers by whatever maker.

Stay away from no name brands in my opinion. I've read numerous posts from guys running them and had trouble with them. Not only with adjusters backing off but geometry mis-match also.

If I were to spend alot of money on roller rockers it would be a toss up between Hughes, Harland Sharp's, or Racer Brown's. But the good old factory ductile iron (bushed ones) are great units for a street and strip car. May not be as glamerous as the fancy anodized ones but when you have the valve covers on who can tell? I've seen a few dyno reports that show the gain from the roller type is next to nothing. Best gain I saw was 12 hp and that was a race prepped 650+ hp big block and it took over $600 to get that 12 hp gain. Alot of money for little gain IMO. The best gain I think you get with them is less wear on the valve guides since they don't have to slide over the valve stem tip which pushes sideways on it.

Has anyone had any experience with the PROFORM rockers? A local machinist that I know said that "he would use them" but arnt these the ones that use the needle rollers that someone was concerned about them falling out and damaging the motor? I asked him about this and he said he has never seen this happen yet. And he claims he has purchased quite a few sets for his customers over time. Any thoughts?

My friend ran them in a mall block chevy for 2 years with no problems.

Back when my engine was being machined (again... but that's another story) and I was gathering parts I ran across a guy strapped for cash. I bought his Crane 1.5 rollers for $150 new in the box w/shafts. How could I justify NOT buying them? Besides, I doubt if my combo will pump out more than 375 HP, so I'm not too concerned with beating them up. No insane lift rates...no crazy spring pressures.

My Buddy Tom has a hardcore stroker small block in his Dart and he's running the Comp Stainless Steel with no problems. And he beats that car like a drum....

Has anyone had any experience with the PROFORM rockers? A local machinist that I know said that "he would use them" but arnt these the ones that use the needle rollers that someone was concerned about them falling out and damaging the motor? I asked him about this and he said he has never seen this happen yet. And he claims he has purchased quite a few sets for his customers over time. Any thoughts?

Read my earlier post.

-
Back