Rolling on a budget

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
So my project is a 70 dart. Currently had a /6-904-7.25 set up which is junk and I have a 360-904 set up awaiting build. Waiting on purchasing a reAr, either 8.25 or 8.75. Initially I dreamt if doin an alterKtion/ streetlynx suspension. However reality is finally setting in and I find the need to aim lower, or cheaper to phrase is more realistically!

Obviously I run a /6 k frame and 9" drums all the way around. What are my options to make what I have work when I swap the v8 in? I understand there are motor mount kits, but what else am I gonna need in the chassis department to make it work? I want the car to ride nicely, since I intend on puttin it back to daily driver condition. I know this seems like a realy general question but it's my 1st ever project an I've had it 3 1/2 years. Only now do I have a high enough payin job (thank you, Marine Corps) to actually save up and start on my car.

So someone walk me through everything I need to build a driver quality baseline on a major budget! Thanks in advance

Probably about the cheapest and minimum way would be Schumacher mounts and Scarebird front disc brake conversion, then just add some bigger torsion bars and you should be ok on that front.

However, unless it's already been done, your front suspension really should be rebuilt. So then you could do the above and just rebuild the front suspension, OR better yet, get a '73-up K-member with the spool mounts and the entire front disc setup. Rebuild all that, bolt on the 360, and slip out your old K/engine and slip the new one in done. If at all possible, this is the route I'd go. Just find a good donor car to get all that from and you're good to go.

Donor cars r impossible for me to find and no space for it anyway =\ looks like I gotta go the price it together route

Put a wanted ad in for sale; I hope you have a welder, your going to need to reinforce whatever K member you get, look at what happened in my build, pretty common areas to crack/flex.

Donor cars r impossible for me to find and no space for it anyway =\ looks like I gotta go the price it together route

Craigslist your local area probably more out there then you know. Even wanted ads work too. May have to put in wheel time. Cheapest would probably be a newer A 73+ BBP car. Check the yards there may be one there that has the pieces you need.

I'm building a 72 two door Dart for my older daughter. Bought it as a painted shell, it was an abandon project. It was mostly just a shell with all the original suspension and drive train gone.

I was lucky enough to score a reasonably cheap parts car with a 318, auto, 8.25 rear end, disc brakes, k frame all for $600.00

The parts car didn't look like much, but it was actually in decent condition, after adding some gas and a battery it started right up and I drove it off the trailer. These cars are out there you just have to be patient and be tactful with the sellers. You see these 4 door cars all the time at pull your part type yards. So I know I'm not the only one lucky enought to find one for $600 or less.

I found the parts car a 74 Valiant on Craigslist. It was advertised for something like $1,500.00 and they mentioned needed to sell soon as they were moving. I sent an email saying good luck with the sale. I'm not a car dealer just someone that enjoys working on these old cars as a hobby. If you don't get any offers I would be interested in the car for $600.00 I know that is much less than your asking, but it is more money than pick a part type salvage yards are paying. Within a week I was picking up the Valiant for $600.00

You really can't go wrong with a parts car for a /6 to V8 conversion on a budget. About the only drawback is you have to have room for an extra car for a while.

You can check out my budget build below to see how the 72 Dart is coming along on a budget.

I won't have the room for an extra vehicle at all. My car resides in my parents garage in Northern California but I'm stationed at camp Pendleton for MOS training till October or so, as after that I have no idea what my options will be. I wanna try building a front suspension for bbp with as many new parts as possible. I am not a welder not do I own one! I'm very under skilled and probably Orr my head with this project but I won't rest until I have it roadworthy again!

You don't have to get the whole vehicle, just find one in a PnP and rip the front end out of it, haul it home, rebuild it wherever you have room, then roll it under the car when it's done.

-
Back