Roof Putty

-

fastmopar

fastmopar06
Reaction score
What do you guys consider the best body filler for the C pillar top to body weld seam??

The last guy to replace the vinyl top used something that never dried. Plus he applied the putty over rust.

Also and insights on replacing the chrome strip clips for the window surrounds.

Thanks,

fastmopar

It was originally filled with lead. If it's not crumbling and falling out, leave it alone. If you need to replace it then a product like All-Metal (a filler) works great. It can be topped with standard body fillers to finish.

In your case you'll want to remove the putty someone applied and deal with the rust properly. Surface rust can be removed but cancerous metal (holes) needs to be cut out and patched or replaced.

If your putting a vinyl top on just fill it with duraglass and rough it out.It will out last the car probably.Just remove the lead and any other filler before applying.

69 on was bondo, lead only at the bottom a, at cowl. Sand it , drill out rust holes to good metal, ospho, self etching, and Rage filler.

if you need to replace it then a product like all-metal (a filler) works great. It can be topped with standard body fillers to finish.

In your case you'll want to remove the putty someone applied and deal with the rust properly. Surface rust can be removed but cancerous metal (holes) needs to be cut out and patched or replaced.

x2!

Thanks for all the rsponses. There was no lead. I've ground off the crap and rust.

I see a couple of what might be brand names listed but not sure. Favorites and brands that actually work? No vinyl going back on the car.

Thanks again.

I would use either a fiberglass filler or all metal then skin it with a plastic filler.

I second All-Metal, have a grinder near by the stuff gets uber hard.

I've also used All-Metal, I have no complaints about it. Its basically body filler with aluminum in it. USC claims it to be waterproof.

All metal, metal-to-metal, and metal fusion are aluminum filled polyester products.
Regular Bondo is talc filled polyester.
Polyester by its very nature is NOT waterproof. It is water resistant.
But over time it will wick water.This is the reason they use a gel coat on boats.
I found "metal fusion" at pepboys for $18 a quart. all the others are $25+ a quart.
Andrew

-
Back