roof rust questions

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
So heres the deal on my 72 dart. pulled the vinyl top and theres tons of rust with pin holes everywhere, the rest of the car is in great shape though. I'm trying to get this thing built on a super tight budget and want it to look decent, i've decided to put a new vinyl top on this thing but want to try and stop the rust from getting worse before i do this. im sure not being the right way to do it but after getting any loose rust off will using a rust encapsulator and then sealing it with rustoleum work for anything or do i need to go a different route. looking for good suggestions from you with experience.

So heres the deal on my 72 dart. pulled the vinyl top and theres tons of rust with pin holes everywhere, the rest of the car is in great shape though. I'm trying to get this thing built on a super tight budget and want it to look decent, i've decided to put a new vinyl top on this thing but want to try and stop the rust from getting worse before i do this. im sure not being the right way to do it but after getting any loose rust off will using a rust encapsulator and then sealing it with rustoleum work for anything or do i need to go a different route. looking for good suggestions from you with experience.
what i would do especially since your putting a top back on it is cut and repalace the spots that are rusted through, i do it alll the time. i imagine the holes are down on the c pillars next to the rear window, those spots just take your time. it wont have to be perfect, just make it close and spread a thin layer of spot putty over the repaired area where it will be covered by the new top and sand it. for the surface rust, wire wheel on an angle grinder is my route, than por 15 or cold glav, prime and paint.

I had the exact same problem... no rust anywhere on the car except under the vinyl top. It was bad. I bought a '72 Dart for $200. About the only thing left on it was the roof but it was in great shape. I cut my roof off and replaced it w/ the donor car's. It wasn't tough but if you're not up for that you might be able to just take patches out of a donor car.

74scamp 002.jpg

74scamp 010.jpg

P1010006.jpg

-
Back