RoofRail seals don't fit?

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster. I bought the METRO Sponge SuperSoft roofrail, part # RR 4005 for 70-74 Mopar "A" body fastback w/swing out rear qtr window, and the profile is completely different from what is in the car now. I double checked the part number on the seal itself, and it matches the packaging. The pin holes don't line up at the rear, but the seal is the correct length, it just does not have the same channel mount features as the part I am replacing.

So, which one have you used?

Also, I really need to replace the trunk seal. I bought a set of 5 (2 roof rails, 2 doors, and trunk) , but now have to return the whole set. I have heard of people using some other style of trunk weatherseal that works better than the stock mopar seal. Thoughts?

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

that dosen't look like the right part. the pic they show looks different that the one you have shown to me. are the pics you posted showing both sides? top and bottom? i would give them a call. i have used them and their products are right on the money....

The current OEM seal has 3 enclosed channels in the seal, whereas the part RR 4005 has no enclosed channel, just a piece with molded in features. There is no place for the seal to attach to the roof rail. Did you replace the molding on your Demon? Does it have a channel similar to the below pic? Maybe I am just no placing it the correct way, but it definitely aint like what I got!

07.jpg

Oh Yeah, FABo works great! A few searches, and I found this thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=7989&highlight=roof+rail+seal

My problem exactly! Apparently, METRO Seal thinks the 2 door sedan (swinger, etc.) is the same as a 2 door fastback, thus they have the moulding mis-labeled. I'm calling Legendary and YearOne to see if their $79 or $85 solution will actually fit.

Thanks, FABO!!!

Jimmy,
That was a thread I started a couple of years ago, and my son and I never did resolve the issue. At that time, I believe the manufacturer of the seals we bought was Precision Replacement Parts (or something like that). We never used the brand new roof rail seals I bought, and for the life of me, I can't remember where I stashed them away. Fortunately, the old seals were still decent enough to re-use.

We are facing the same problem with a '74 Duster that we are currently working on. We need to replace these seals, but I have not had anyone tell me definitively that they successfully installed new ones on a '73-'76 Duster or Dart Sport.

Anyone willing to step up and claim success?

Jerry

The current OEM seal has 3 enclosed channels in the seal, whereas the part RR 4005 has no enclosed channel, just a piece with molded in features. There is no place for the seal to attach to the roof rail. Did you replace the molding on your Demon? Does it have a channel similar to the below pic? Maybe I am just no placing it the correct way, but it definitely aint like what I got!

no i never did replace mine on the demon. if nothing else send them a 3 inch piece of the seal in question. let them look at it. they will take and make a mold from it and make it for you. send them the same pic you just posted as well. it can't hurt....

Is this just an issue with the later years? I believe I have the Metro seals on my '70 and they seem to fit okay.

Well, so far, not so good. I called Legendary & YearOne, and they both sell the METRO seal. We confirmed the part number, and it is correct. Oddly enough, YearOne has had 3 returned recently, but no reason was recorded as to why. I hate to spend $190 for the Steele Runner parts, so I called METRO, and sent them some pics, and they are looking into it. I'll post any updates.

Go, Jimmy!!!!
I hope one of the manufacturers takes it upon themselves to truly listen to their customers and fix this long-standing problem.

Jerry

Well, so far, not so good. I called Legendary & YearOne, and they both sell the METRO seal. We confirmed the part number, and it is correct. Oddly enough, YearOne has had 3 returned recently, but no reason was recorded as to why. I hate to spend $190 for the Steele Runner parts, so I called METRO, and sent them some pics, and they are looking into it. I'll post any updates.

this is what needs to be done. now offer to send them a 3 inch piece of the moulding so they can make a moldof it and then start produceing the correct piece. they may give you the first piece to let you see how it works for free! what do you have to lose at this point....

-
Back