Roots blower physical size

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How do you determine how big of a snout you need? Is it a one size fits all and you make up alignment issues with spacers or are they very specific to each engine? Can you use a blower that was on a small block chevy and put it on a small block mopar. I know that the intake is different, but the blower is still the same is it not? The more I get into this the more I realize I don't have a clue as to what is really needed.

Jack

There are different sizes,what do you have now?There are spacers to bring out the pulley on the top or bottom.Of course you want to keep it as tight to the water pump as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0059r2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 617
Wow, that is tight in there. As for what I have now, that's easy, nothing. LOL My car is a 72 Demon with a LA/Magnum hybrid. I want to go to a Blown magnum engine. I am just trying to get my head around all that is going to be needed and there is very little info that I can find on the physical characteristics that are required. I don't have to buy new if I can find good used. I just need to know what I need. The only thing I can see right now that is going to be a must is an intake from INDY.

Jack

check out rbsuperchargers.com, dragparts.com, rcdengneering.com. they have some good tech articles. the blowers fit anything it's the rest you have to measure to fit it all up. get your blower and intake first then measure. the drive snouts come in just about any length you'll need, from a few inches to over a foot. there's plenty of web sites that you can get used parts and save a ton of money.

You can buy a blower drive kit for your engine, I assume your blower would be a 6-71 on a sbc chevy, you would need a drive kit for that blower.
I bought my full kit from good vibrations motorsports, they are good on prices.
They dont list a sbm on their web , but I am sure they can get a BDS drive kit.

http://www.goodvibesracing.com/Blower_Drive_Kits.htm

How do you determine how big of a snout you need? Is it a one size fits all and you make up alignment issues with spacers or are they very specific to each engine? Can you use a blower that was on a small block chevy and put it on a small block mopar. I know that the intake is different, but the blower is still the same is it not? The more I get into this the more I realize I don't have a clue as to what is really needed.

Jack
>Jack, I went with a 6V-71(large rotors). They pump approx. 10% less, but are 2" shorter(body). "Dyers Blowers" makes a mount-casting, to fit this V6 blower. I suggest you peep their webb-site. It comes down to fit and boost required for your size motor. Good Luck, ateam.:thumbrig:

>Jack, I went with a 6V-71(large rotors). They pump approx. 10% less, but are 2" shorter(body). "Dyers Blowers" makes a mount-casting, to fit this V6 blower. I suggest you peep their webb-site. It comes down to fit and boost required for your size motor. Good Luck, ateam.:thumbrig:

I am still a long way from actually buying the blower. I am concentrating on the rest of the engine first. But, from what I can figure, I will be trying for an 8 to 10 lb boost limit. I am looking at a 7.5 to 1 static compression ratio. I am also looking at a water/meth injection setup to be on the safe side.
I have seen a couple of 6V-71 setups for sale and they seem to be cheaper than a 6-71 setup. I haven't figured out why yet, but I will.

Jack

I am still a long way from actually buying the blower. I am concentrating on the rest of the engine first. But, from what I can figure, I will be trying for an 8 to 10 lb boost limit. I am looking at a 7.5 to 1 static compression ratio. I am also looking at a water/meth injection setup to be on the safe side.
I have seen a couple of 6V-71 setups for sale and they seem to be cheaper than a 6-71 setup. I haven't figured out why yet, but I will.

Jack
>Jack, I bought mine, nos. for $200. They look "different", and not too many, know about them(demand)."Dyers" sells them rebuilt, ateam.

The Blowers on the "V" engines 6v-71, 8v-71, etc.. use an angled bolt pattern as opposed to the inline detroit diesels 6-71, 4-71, etc where the blower bolt pattern bolts straight down or actually sideways (the blower mounts to the side of the engine) in the OE application. In simple terms its harder to bolt a 'V' series blower to a manifold making it less desirable for hot hodding.

Jack
dose anyone in here run a stock or mildly built 318 mopar with a B&M 144 or somthing about the same as the B&M looking to install one on my mildly built 318 HELP

Tom

-
Back