Rtv Sealant or not ?? Oil filter adapter

-

ken5124

65 Valiant Signet
Reaction score
Right angle oil filter adapter gasket was leaking, eventually a lot ... after removing the header and taking the adapter off, found the large round seal had slipped outward at the top, causing the long term leak..

I have seen some recommend against using a silicone sealer on This part

Your thoughts and experiences?

If I recall correctly, I cleaned the mounting surfaces well with something like carb cleaner, then used plain old gasket adhesive. It never leaked again.

Thanks.. The gasket that slipped had rtv sealant on both sides of it... I think it allowed it to slip??

"Never leaked again " That's what I am looking for.

Use RTV or a gasket NEVER both!!! Idiot moves like this give RTV a bad name. If you plan to use a paper or cork gasket, use an approved cement. Typically this will be a brown or yellow glue. Permatex "Aviation", "Indian Head", "High-Tack", "Gaskacinch"or "Hylomar" work well,as do "3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" aka "Monkey Snot" which is basically contact cement in a tube.

RTV is great if you want to glue a cover on without a gasket. Follow instructions, let cure properly and you will never have a leak. Great for valve covers and intake end seals.

Use RTV or a gasket NEVER both!!! Idiot moves like this give RTV a bad name. If you plan to use a paper or cork gasket, use an approved cement. Typically this will be a brown or yellow glue. Permatex "Aviation", "Indian Head", "High-Tack", "Gaskacinch"or "Hylomar" work well,as do "3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" aka "Monkey Snot" which is basically contact cement in a tube.

RTV is great if you want to glue a cover on without a gasket. Follow instructions, let cure properly and you will never have a leak. Great for valve covers and intake end seals.

In this case Dumb *** move , for sure... But "idiot move ""

I'm going to have to re think my existence..

Despite that thanks for the clear direction.. I will be using gasacinch to hold the new seal in place , and no other sealer..

Ken

-
Back