Rubber hood to rad support seal info - read before buying

-

Alan H.

Reaction score
Learn by my mistake.
I purchased this seal from Classic Industries:
Mopar A-Body - Duster Parts | MA2460 | 1967-72 Mopar A-Body Hood To Radiator Seal | Classic Industries
My hood needed gorilla strength to close it, as this rubber is VERY thick and not pliable.

So, I bought this from Steele Rubber Products to see if it would be any different:
Hood to radiator weatherstrip
I called in advance, and explained my problem, and the nice lady connected me to someone that was familiar with this seal. I told him how stiff the one I bought from Classic is, and he assured me his was pliable. I went ahead and ordered it based on our conversation.

Before removing from plastic bag, I decided to weigh the Steele seal and compare the two weights.
Steele seal weight: 17.1 oz.
Classic seal weight: 26.8 oz.

I installed the new seal today, and it is exactly as described and fits perfectly. Hood closes as it should.
The Classic seal is made like a tire... really thick, non-pliable rubber. I have read many posts here where this problem is described and asks for an answer. You now have your answer.

Steele makes a good product and not all of those seals come with the clips attached. I found that out the hard way.

Both seals came to me with the clips inside the bag, not attached to the rubber.
You just press them in.
The Classic clips were poor fitting, and needed to be "persuaded" to attach to the hood.
The Steele clips went in with ease.

I think the pressure of pushing down the hood would crack the fiberglass

anyone ever try putting one of these seals on a fiberglass hood ??

I have one brand new in a bag (bought it at the Mopar Nationals (not sure who I bought it from). I have a fiberglass six pak hood and I thought it might be okay to attach it to the hood but I punked out at the last minute because I was afraid of damaging the hood. I instead went to the Home Depot and bought air conditioner sealing foam (about 2" thick) and Gorilla glued it to the bottom of my hood. It seals well and it gives me a nice soft edge for when I sit my hood on my vinyl top.

-
Back