ruby dog & new job

-

caferacerx

BAND MEMBER
Reaction score
so the other week I finally get called back to work, full time starting monday morning which is great because I am flat broke, sunday night I am trying to sleep and ruby dog is making noise keeping me up, damn dog I need to go to sleep and she wont stop fidgeting, monday morning I let them out and am getting ready to leave when I think I see something on ruby's inside back leg, upon a closer look it is a huge open wound! now I am panicking I need to leave for the first day of work RIGHT NOW! cant be late but it looks like the dog is dying?!?! O.K. what to do? she seems fine otherwise it looks bad but she isn't acting different and doesn't seem to be in any pain, and it's not bleeding, O.K. so I go to work cant loose this job or they dont eat (and I buy them food before me)

stressed out all day finally get home and try to call a vet, no luck it's late they are all closed, up all night with her, it looks bad, tuesday off to work again, not much sleep for the second night in a row great, get home tuesday night late again (great for overtime bad for dog) now it is looking infected have to do something, find an emergency vet but they want money upfront and I haven't gotten paid yet I am still broke but this cant wait, I finally borrow a couple hundred $$ and rush ruby over there, the vet looks at her and says there is nothing we can do it could be cancer, she either need surgery which will cost $2000 to $4000 or you should put her to sleep, two to four thousand dollars!?!?!? cancer!! may as well be a million O.K. ruby is old about 14 years and she has some old dog lumps that she has had for a number of years, it seems that one of them started to die off and needs to be removed that is what I was seeing and what was bothering her, O.K. dock I need another option because neither of those are happening, so they clean up the wound, give her some antibiotics and a plastic cone around her head charge me $300 and say goodluck,

O.K. this sucks! me and ruby go home I get a little sleep and its off to work again, wednesday I get home she looks better, with the cone she cant pick at, it the antibiotics are working, I call around and find the womans humane society has saturday vet hours no appointment needed first come first served, O.K. at least it's a plan, the next few days are uneventful, first thing saturday morning we are off to the vet again, I am hopping for some better news but dreading that it might be bad, the vet looks at her and agrees with the first vet's assessment, surgery is necessary, no other option but if she has had those lumps for years it is not cancer though it is going to be expensive, how expensive I ask? "I can do it at my clinic this wednesday but it will cost $500", that I think I can swing, so we set up the appointment "leave the cone on her head and keep giving her the antibiotics" $150 on the way out

perfect I am working in the area of the vet on wednesday so I will be nearby and can pick her up at lunch or after work, I tell my job I will be in late and need to take a long late lunch but I will be able to finish everything none the less, fortunately they are fine with this, wednesday morning I drop her off and they tell me to give them a call after 1:00, so I go to work and call them around 1:15 they tell me she is fine and can go home between 2:30 and 3:00, so I hightail it over there the bill is $500 even including more antibiotics and pain killers, "leave the cone on her head for two weeks until the stitches dissolve, give us a call if there is a problem but she should be fine"

the cone should be coming off this wednesday and I am sure she will be very happy! the pills are quickly eaten when wrapped in a piece of turkey and all's well that ends well (but that is why my barracuda isn't running for now)

the first one is of her in her younger days

the second is the dreaded cone head

the third is "what I didnt do it?"

Attachments

• 2373_1031341343480_1223771257_30122577_3102_n.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 63
  • ruby dog 002.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 73
  • camera stuff 012.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 74
Sorry to hear about Ruby. Hopefully it's not cancer and just a growth they can remove and be done with.

-
Back