Run stand wiring

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm almost done building a run stand.
2 wiring questions, wait, 3.
#1 I noticed there are no fuses in any of the circuits. Should that be a concern?
Only elec.gauge(fed 12v from ign switch)is coolant temp.
Oil psi is mechanical, tach is elec(obviously).
#2. See pic of my hand drawn schematic, that's our 67 engine bay with 70+ square back alt and vr. There is a 3,wire splice, pointing at it withwire(blue from vr, blue from alt and lite blue with yellow trace from ecu), these connect to run side of ballast resistor.
Can these
all be connected together on the connector at the ballast?
Also alternator will be installed to keep belt tight on wp and crank.
#3 Any issues hooking it up electrically(fld from vr, fld from BR and black from starter relay.
Thanks
Steve
****EDIT*** Question #2, there are actually 4 wires that connect to "each other" the one I forgot to mention is the 16ga dark blue with tracer from ign #1 on switch to "N" on bulkhead, which leads to ballast resistor on "run";side(and the 3 other wires).
Thanks

20240407_103437.jpg

20240407_103500.jpg

20240407_105613.jpg

20240407_115739.jpg

Last edited:
Fuses are always good on wiring that is designed to be connected / disconnected.

Dont over complicate things.

You must have a dedicated ground to tie everything together.

BTW, they are 3 separate systems only tied together by the ignition switch.

Ignition... EDIT: the MP diagram is flawed. the ballast bypass should come from IGN 2 NOT the yellow ST (Start) wire
1712937038315.png

Charging... EDIT this is good for charging but they over simplified the ignition in the drawing
1712937276202.png

Starting... EDIT: @mattox in a different thread reminded me that there is a separate ST (Start) terminal on the ignition switch and is used to activate the starter relay
1712936497860.png

Last edited:
Ill definitely have a dedicated ground. The schematics you posted I don't believe have a fuse in any of the circuits. I realized while wiring my stand that there were no fuses and thought it might be an issue.
Should either alt fld wires being hooked up or not?
Thanks.
Fuses are always good on wiring that is designed to be connected / disconnected.

Dont over complicate things.

You must have a dedicated ground to tie everything together.

BTW, they are 3 separate systems only tied together by the ignition switch.

Ignition...
View attachment 1716232838

Charging...
View attachment 1716232839

Starting...
View attachment 1716232841

I realized while wiring my stand that there were no fuses and thought it might be an issue
Its always a good idea.

You could fuse the circuits coming from the switch individually or the feed to the switch.

Either will offer some protection.

Should either alt fld wires being hooked up or not?
Thanks

If you want the alternator to charge the run stand battery then yes.

Otherwise...

No need to have any regulator or alternator wiring

I don't think it'd hurt to put a small fuse panel on the run stand and also wire in a large fuse for the alternator circuit. Just pretend it's a car.

I just wired mine up. Fused the wire going to the main power/kill switch only. Probably didn't have to since there is nothing hidden and you are always right there when it's running. A quick disconnect at the battery is a good idea too, but I don't have 1.

Cley

Hi all, I'm almost done building a run stand.
2 wiring questions, wait, 3.
#1 I noticed there are no fuses in any of the circuits. Should that be a concern?
Only elec.gauge(fed 12v from ign switch)is coolant temp.
Oil psi is mechanical, tach is elec(obviously).
#2. See pic of my hand drawn schematic, that's our 67 engine bay with 70+ square back alt and vr. There is a 3,wire splice, pointing at it withwire(blue from vr, blue from alt and lite blue with yellow trace from ecu), these connect to run side of ballast resistor.
Can these
all be connected together on the connector at the ballast?
Also alternator will be installed to keep belt tight on wp and crank.
#3 Any issues hooking it up electrically(fld from vr, fld from BR and black from starter relay.
Thanks
Steve
****EDIT*** Question #2, there are actually 4 wires that connect to "each other" the one I forgot to mention is the 16ga dark blue with tracer from ign #1 on switch to "N" on bulkhead, which leads to ballast resistor on "run";side(and the 3 other wires).
Thanks

View attachment 1716232793

View attachment 1716232794

View attachment 1716232795

View attachment 1716232814
Just install an inline fuse and be done with it. Below is a video of a guy explaining it.

The 4 wires are "connected" but do they have to be connected a certain way on the run side
I feel like you are complicating things

If you use a real Mopar ignition switch just hook up the wires that need start power to IGN 2 and those that need run power to IGN 1.

The 3 systems are separate systems only tied together at the ignition switch

I'm using oem 67 switch, with 70+ ign system. Elec ign. They're tied together more than just at ign switch?? Ecu, vr, anyway I'll get it, it's only 4 wires lol.

20240410_205203.jpg

20240410_205214.jpg

-
Back