running again

-

WildCat

Reaction score
well after a few months being completely rebuilt again the engine was started yesterday.

They show on TV in just a minute or two an engine set up on stand and hooked to dyno. Well I got there at 9am and by noon we were about ready to run.

Ben (ProMax) normally has his BB on the stand to test carbs he rebuilds, he has had a small block on it before but it must have been awhile.

I thought I had used a long oil filter but the header would not clear it so off to parts store to get short filter. While at the parts store get a call that the upper hose was too short. The upper hose was about 3" too short, they didn't have one long enough so I got a exhaust connector and 22"hose to join them together.

They didn't like how that made a loop above the intake, so after running and the temp too high, I went to NAPA warehouse to get longer hose and they removed the thermostat housing off Bens 440 to use on my 340 to give it a 90 deg and the hose would not have the loop. After we got it running again and them wanting to cool it down faster between runs they took the electric water pump motor off the 440 and installed on my 340

We finally got the 20 min run time at 2,000 to break the cam in and were ready for a pull, maybe 2:30~3:00 by now, remember we started at 9am

On the 1st pull they said secondaries were not opening, so we removed the carb to investagate. Seems there is very little clearance between the butterflies and the seperator in the intake.

Fixed carb and ready for 2nd pull, when it hit about 4,500 RPM ended up with an oil leak from around the oil filter. Removed the filter and adapter it find a small pucker in the gasket between the adapter and block

Timing rechecked finding the dist. needs a curve eliminator so I don't get as much advance, so Monday we hope to get that done

I'm glad we run it on the dyno and found the oil leak and that the dist was giving too much total timing, after the dist. is modified and timing set correctly the carb will get rejetted, then it will be ready for paint and reinstall

It was about 7PM when we got done hot lash setting the valves, what a day

340dyno.jpg

You mean you cant do all that in 30 minutes?? They do it all the time on TV!!! LOL. Sounds like a great way to work the bugs out before it goes in the car though.

Picked it up today,

the timing set and carb rejetted and a final pull before removing

Dyno room temp 92 deg
Barometric pressure 29.21 inHG
Humidity 32.58

He only run it up to 5,129 rpm, looks like it was still making power.

On this pull it shows best
Torque
4747 rpm ..... 342.6 ft-lb

HP
5,129 rpm ....... 330 hp

printout starts at 2831 rpm with 257.5 ft-lb torque

It is not a race engine, just to move my convertible Dart, look & sound good and be respectable. I think it will do that.

-
Back