Running different coilover spring rates per side?

-

Brad4406

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I won an auction on ebay for a pair of Koni Universal Coil-Over Shocks 82121126SPA1 with springs for an extremely low price. I don't know what pound springs they are.

What perplexes me is, the spring rate is adjusted at least a half inch different per side. Would the last owner have run them that way? If so, why?

As far as what I have read on these shocks, the height is not adjustable by adjusting the spring rate. So, why would the PO run a different spring rate per side? Would one side of the car been so much heavier than the other? I guess if the battery was on one side, that would explain it, right? If so, which side would have been preloaded with more rate; the battery side or the other side?

I'm beginning to think I have shocks that are so adjustable that I'll never get them dialed in right. I guess that's a good problem to have.

Could be almost anything.
Big guy/gal
Track car
launch twist
bent frame rails and trying to compensate.

Probably other things I'm not thinking of.

Do you know for a fact that's how they were run. Anything could have happened between taking them off a car and finding their way to you.
The best way to know if you are dialed in is make a lot of passes and have someone with chassis knowledge watch/film the action in the car.
Whether or not you need different coils all depends on how the car scales out on each corner.

-
Back